High School English Teacher and ESL Teacher
American International School of Conakry
About the organization
We are a small (115 student) Pre-K to 12th grade international school located in Conakry, Guinea (West Africa) and in existence since 1963. We are the only accredited English-medium school in the country. Accredited by the Middle States Association and a member school of the Association of International Schools in Africa. One hundred percent of our senior graduating class are admitted to universities mainly in the U.S. and Canada but also in Europe, Asia, and other universities in Africa.
● Maintain up-to-date lesson plans through the year.
● Teach English – particularly applied learning projects -- to students in grades 9-12.
Deliver Advanced Placement courses.
● Deliver lessons daily incorporating Learning Targets, Essential Questions and Success Criteria.
● Conduct shared inquiry discussions with students using novels.
● Maintain an assessment and grading system based on the AERO Standards and housed in the Google Classroom online system.
● Complete and submit grades and comments on quarterly Progress Reports and on semester Report Cards.
● Take an active leadership role in school-wide Curriculum Mapping in English Language Arts.
● Order and maintain inventory of English materials and books.
● Maintain class discipline, follow-up, feedback and documentation.
● Make parental contacts.
● Take part in Back-to-School Night event and two evening Parent-Teacher Conferences.
● Monitor and annotate student notebooks, folders, and portfolios.
● Develop and utilize English Language Arts rubrics.
● Contribute to the school's Weekly Updates in Instruction.
● Contribute to and update the school's Monthly Unit Plans.
● Take an active role in weekly professional development sessions.
● Attend training on English Language Arts instruction, if available.
● Lead a Club of one's interest for students.
● Take part in planning, leading, and participating in day and overnight field trip
● U.S. or International Teaching License in English, preferred.
● Degree or coursework in English.
● Full-Time English teaching experience.
● Experience teaching Advanced Placement English courses (at H.S. level), preferred.
● Knowledge of AERO Standards in English Language Arts.
● Fluency in written and spoken English required.
● Facility in French language preferred.
● Previous experience living in West Africa preferred.
● Flexibility and a sense of humor a must.
Based on education, years of experience, certfication can range from $28,000 to $37,000 with r/t airfare, two-bedroom apt,, worldwide medical insurance included. Savings potential is enormous.
Contact email: [email protected]
Please provide proof of degrees and certifications along with four confidential references.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job