Great Oaks AmeriCorps Fellow
Great Oaks Charter Schools
About the organization
What sets Great Oaks schools apart from other college preparatory charters is our Great Oaks Fellowship; a selective cadre of recent college graduates who deliver at least two hours of individualized instruction to every student every day. In addition to providing individualized instruction, Fellows mentor students to support social and emotional growth and collaborate with diverse stakeholders to develop an enriching school community where our students thrive.
The Great Oaks Foundation has replicated this model in Newark, NJ, New York, NY, Bridgeport, CT, and Wilmington, DE. A select group of the Fellows at Great Oaks are enrolled in our Teacher Residency program.
We are seeking team-oriented, student-centered people who share the belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
As a member of the Great Oaks Fellowship, you will be directly responsible for providing individualized instruction, mentorship, and enrichment opportunities to several small groups (range from 1 to 6 students per group) of middle or high school students each day. This is a service role with AmeriCorps with an average day of 7:30am-5pm. Members serve Monday-Friday and some Saturdays.
In order to support your year of service, you will receive a living stipend, a fully furnished housing benefit (utilities included), access to health insurance, and professional development throughout the year. You will also be eligible for a Segal Education Award through AmeriCorps after the successful completion of your term of service - defined as completing 1,700 hours of service (and the school year) in good standing. Most importantly, you will gain invaluable experience working in an urban charter school, acquiring both educational, teamwork and leadership skills as the year progresses.
The ideal candidate for the Great Oaks Fellowship is a recent college graduate, passionate about service and working with youth. Great Oaks has schools in Newark, NJ, New York, NY, Bridgeport, CT, and Wilmington, DE, and is seeking Fellows for all sites. Great Oaks is seeking individuals who are team-oriented, student-centered, and up for one of the most rewarding challenges of their lives.
A successful candidate will bring the following qualifications and competencies:
- COMPLETED a Bachelor’s degree by August 1, 2020
- CITIZENSHIP OR LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENCY in the United States (AmeriCorps requirement)
- A commitment to serving children in under-resourced, urban communities
- An unshakeable belief that all students can succeed
- Some experience working or volunteering with children; tutoring or mentorship experience preferable
- Some experience working on teams; exceptional relationship building, communication, and collaborative skills
- A remarkable ability to stay organized and to adhere strictly to deadlines even in extremely busy time periods
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude that coincides with an innate drive to get the details right in a flexible manner
- A passion for service and a resilient, positive mindset
- An exceptional ability to respond well to and implement feedback
- A zeal to drive innovation, disrupt the status quo, try new approaches, and tackle problems from many angles and with creative solutions
- An open minded sensibility; a willingness to learn, follow the lead of others, and take leadership opportunities when appropriate
Free fully furnished housing plus a modest living stipend
This AmeriCorps service role will start in early August 2020 and run through June 2021. GO Fellow positions are available in New York City, NY, Newark, NJ, Bridgeport, CT, and Wilmington, DE. Application Process:
- From the date of your application, you can expect to receive notice within a week regarding next steps
- After reviewing your qualifications and background, you will receive an email from Spark Hire prompting you to complete a one-way interview within 3 calendar days. (Please note, we have been told this email occasionally lands in spam folders.)
- Should you move on in the process, you will be scheduled for an interview and work product evaluation with one of our four locations
(If you are applying through a mobile phone, we suggest using the notes feature and copying and pasting your paragraph into the application to ensure the clarity of your writing)
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job