About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
1. Maintains the automated general ledger system; prepares the month-end and year-end closing of the general ledger.
2. Assists in preparing budgets and budget revisions; analyzes actual financial performance compared to budget.
3. In coordination with the Budget/AR unit, responsible for the development and strict adherence to the cost allocation plan in accordance with corporate policies and government regulations.
4. Prepares balance sheet accounts including bank account reconciliations; conducts necessary research to resolve discrepancies.
5. Generates financial reports and statements; conducts research necessary to resolve discrepancies and distributes information to appropriate individuals.
6. Posts transactions to general ledger ensuring inclusion of necessary documentation in accordance with corporation policies and procedures.
7. Prepares special financial reports as requested by various funding sources and government agencies.
8. Adheres to the mission of SER Metro-Detroit and Subsidiaries.
9. Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree from a four year accredited university or college with a degree in accounting.
2. Minimum 6 years’ of accounting experience in a related field.
3. Skills necessary to effectively coordinate and review their work.
4. Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
5. Computer skills necessary to maintain accounts accounting records and generate accounting reports with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access).
6. Interpersonal skills necessary to request and provide information to employees and business representatives.
7. Ability to work independently to handle pressures related to meeting deadlines and completing tasks requiring concentration.
8. Analytical ability and mathematical aptitude to perform accounting/bookkeeping functions of moderate difficulty and conduct research necessary to resolve discrepancies.
9. Mental ability to handle pressures related to meeting deadlines, completing tasks requiring concentration and attention to detail and dealing with confidential and/or highly sensitive issues.
10. Physical ability to occasionally sit in one position for extended periods of time when data entering information.
11. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as evening and/or weekend work hours may be occasionally required.
12. Must possess a valid Driver's License and provide automobile liability insurance.
13. Must have access to reliable transportation in order to travel within service area.
$50,000 - $60,000/year
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job