Financial Coach (Bilingual)
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
1. Facilitates financial education workshops such as money management, credit, banking, mortgage loans, buying a home, and avoiding predatory lenders.
2. Conducts intake for participants seeking financial counseling assistance.
3. Conducts individual counseling on topics such as credit and debt management, savings, budgeting, special assistance programs for homeownership, foreclosure intervention, and other topics as appropriate.
4. Assists the participant to develop a personal financial plan to meet their financial goals.
5. Exposes participants to financial products and services such as check cashing alternatives, flexible financial product and affordable housing products.
6. Assists the participant in devising a debt liquidation plan that includes payoff priorities and timelines.
7. Provides information on Individual Development Accounts (IDAs) and assists with the application process.
8. Maintains follow-up contact with participant on matters discussed in counseling session.
9. Refers participant to community or financial agencies to obtain services outlined in financial plan.
10. Creates and maintain partnerships with financial institutions, real estate agencies, lending institutions, financial industry professionals, and community-based organizations.
11. Maintains program database including data collection, input and program reporting.
12. Represents the organization in various community forums and conducts program presentations.
13. Performs other duties
1. Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or other related field.
2. Two to four years of related experience in personal financial education, homebuyer education, and/or foreclosure intervention counseling preferred.
3. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish required.
4. Strong Interpersonal skills.
5. Certified Financial Planner preferred.
6. Mental ability to handle pressures related to dealing with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need.
7. Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Incumbent must have a reliable means of transportation.
Contact email: [email protected]
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include full name and specify job position of interest in subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job