Babban Gona Farmer Services
About the organization
Babban Gona (“Great Farm”) is a rapidly scaling social enterprise, with a mission to serve the bottom of the pyramid and transform agriculture into a job creation engine for unemployed youth. We do this by offering a suite of services to rural, smallholder farmers, helping them to overcome the challenges of fragmentation and low economies of scale. Our services include providing financial credit, low-cost high quality inputs, ongoing training on best agronomy practices, and providing storage and marketing services to maximize farmers’ profits. In 8 years, BG has helped over 65,000 smallholder farmers increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. Our goal is to serve 1,000,000 smallholder farmers in 2025.
There are 3 key units within our finance team – Corporate Finance /Fund Raising, Operational Finance /Treasury and Financial Control /Financial Planning. Our corporate finance team is responsible for raising new capital, overseeing existing investor portfolios and managing partner relations. In operational finance, the team is responsible for day-to-day efficient management of our financial resources and ensuring that the organization has enough liquidity to run the business. The responsibility of financial analysis budgeting and financial reporting lies with our Financial Control team.
All 3 areas are essential to the effective running of the business and our Finance Fellow can indicate a preference for which of the 3 is of most interest. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Monitor investor covenants and repayment cycles
● Prepare investor reports and updates
● Identify opportunities to optimize our financial /accounting systems and improve our financial controls
● Develop a robust financial forecasting framework for the business
● Improve existing policies, processes and standards across the organization
● Support in preparing monthly financial reports and records
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or any related field.
● At least 2 years’ finance experience in a dynamic, fast-moving organization.
● Familiarity with standard financial and accounting software and tools.
● Obsessive attention to detail.
● Good initiative, positive attitude and a constant willingness to learn.
● Passionate, driven individual with an ability to achieve results through teamwork and collaborative approaches.
● Minimum of two (2) years' full-time work experience
● Fluency in written and spoken English
● Adaptability and openness to feedback
● Empathy and motivation to understand others’ perspectives and views
● Available for 12 - 24 month volunteer commitment, based in Lagos, Nigeria
$1250 per month
Contact email: [email protected]
We welcome applications to our Fellows Program on a rolling basis and will match candidate skills and interests with business requirements. Applications will be processed and candidates interviewed as new opportunities emerge. While individual preferences are taken into account, offers to join the Babban Gona Fellows Program are subject to project needs at the time of application.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter expressing how your background has prepared you to make significant contributions as a BG Fellow with subject line: BG Fellows Program [Finance].
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply