Outward Bound Costa Rica
About the organization
Founded in 1994, Outward Bound Costa Rica offers a range of experiential education programs to high school, college students and adults that promise challenging physical activities across Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua, with a focus on personal development, leadership, and cultural immersion.
Field instructors play a crucial role in the students’ experience and are responsible for the successful delivery of an Outward Bound Costa Rica course. They ensure the safety of students, that the course objectives are accomplished, and the activities on course encompass the Outward Bound philosophy. This role requires extensive interpersonal skills in order maintain communication between instructors, students, and office staff. Candidates must have high proficiency in written and verbal English, be conversant in Spanish, and have strong attention to detail. Field instructors report directly to the Operations and Program Director. This position requires to live in Costa Rica and instructors’ duties are 24/7 throughout the duration of our multi-day courses.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE INSTRUCTORS
• Develop and lead course activities
• Plan lessons, menus, and accommodation options alongside the Program Director
• Be responsible for budget and expenses
• Prepare gear and other equipment for course
• Manage paperwork related to each course
• Dynamic interpersonal skills
• Experience managing people
• Proven customer service
• Strong organizational skills
• Motivated to initiate and lead projects
• Creative and professional writing skills
• Good physical condition e.g. for multi-day hiking
• Strong swimmer
• Cultural sensitivity
• Strong cross-cultural communication skills
• Spanish language skills (conversational ability or above strongly preferred)
• Personal interest in the outdoors and the mission of Outward Bound
• Ability to multi-task and stay focused despite regular interruption
• Sense of humor
• Tenacity about traveling and ability to create personal connections outside of the work environment
• Ability to manage conflict professionally
Salary paid at a daily rate. Travel insurance coverage by World Nomads (Poliza de Riezgos del Trabajador by INS in the case of Costa Rican citizens). Access to Outward Bound Costa Rica courses and equipment for personal use when available.
Contact email: [email protected]
Submit cover letter and resume to Daniel Jimenez, Director of Programming, at [email protected] Specify “Field Instructor” in the subject line.
Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date.
No phone calls please. Applications are due as soon as possible for immediate review, but no later than March 15, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply