Environmental Scientist/Environmental Engineer
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
About the organization
EPA's mission is to protect human health and the environment. Since its inception, EPA has worked to ensure that Americans have clean air, land and water. Our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career. We share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment. Join the EPA and discover how exciting it is to safeguard our natural resources and protect human health.
This position is located in the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA), Office of Compliance (OC). OECA goes after pollution problems that impact American communities through compliance monitoring and enforcement of environmental laws. OC identifies, prevents, and reduces noncompliance and environmental risks by establishing enforcement initiatives and ensuring effective monitoring and assessment of compliance.
We are seeking a highly motivated, collaborative engineer or scientist to join our interdisciplinary Water team, which promotes clean and safe water. You will be a part of a motivated and creative team of engineers, scientists, lawyers, and program specialists that implements a variety of programs focusing on environmental compliance with the Clean Water Act (CWA) and Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
New staff will have the opportunity to make substantive contributions:
• Lead and serve on national workgroups within EPA, such as the strategic implementation team for EPA's new drinking water and wastewater compliance initiatives.
• Lead and serve on workgroups within EPA that develop regulations, standards, policies, strategies, compliance assistance materials, and guidance.
• Develop guidance for EPA and state inspectors in the form of manuals, fact sheets and training modules, and policy documents.
• Developing and delivering communication and outreach materials to help small, public drinking water and/or wastewater facilities return to compliance.
• Develop and deliver webinars, online training, and in-person workshops related to SDWA and CWA inspections and compliance.
• Lead compliance monitoring activities; review regulatory proposals, management data, and relevant legislation; and collect and interpret data relating to clean and safe water.
The Environmental Engineer/Scientist would work to advance compliance with environmental regulations, particularly the Safe Drinking Water Act and/or Clean Water Act. Position is based at EPA HQ in Washington, D.C.
• Ability to work with partners (federal, state, local, and tribal governments, NGOs, private sector, academia) is essential;
• At least two years of relevant work experience;
• Exceptional attention to detail;
• Strong communication skills; and,
• A degree and/or combination of education and experience to qualify for this position in one of the following series:
0401 - Life Scientist
0819 - Environmental Engineer
1301 - Environmental/Physical Scientist
Contact email: [email protected]
For more information and to apply, email your resume, cover letter, transcripts and description of service/certification of noncompetitive eligibility to Barbara VanTil at [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply