Environmental Education Manager
About the organization
For 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific research while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting edge hands-on field science.
• To design and deliver a range of consistent, high quality experiential learning curriculum that pair with Earthwatch’s citizen science based programs.
• Develop all supporting materials needed to implement curriculum (facilitator notes, PowerPoint slides, educational webpages, handouts, etc.)
• Understand target audience needs (ex. corporate employees, historically marginalized community members, high school students underrepresented in STEM careers, or teachers) and incorporate these needs into the learning design. Utilize a lens of equity and accessibility in the design of learning curriculum.
• Work closely with Program Managers to ensure continuous improvement of the learning curriculum in support of each program’s objectives and the Earthwatch mission.
• Train other Earthwatch staff to deliver learning sessions as required by each specific grant.
• Measure impact on program participants
• Work with Development team to develop pitch ideas and demonstrate program impacts to generate funding for the programs.
• Support the development of Earthwatch’s approach on how we effectively communicate critical sustainability issues to a diverse audience.
• To maintain a cohort of Earthwatch staff who are trained in the principles of Earthwatch learning and can be called upon to deliver learning when that capacity is needed.
• Line Management of Impact Manager and other employees as needed
• Excellent understanding of environmental and sustainability agendas
• Passion for the natural world and an ability to inspire this in others.
• Excellent emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and interpersonal skills.
• 4-7 years experience designing inspiring learning content, presentations, workshops, and outdoor sessions for adult and teen learners.
• 4- 7 years experience facilitating immersive learning in-person and online, and an ability to explain complex information in accessible and inspiring ways for diverse audiences.
• Knowledge of group dynamics, learning styles, and facilitation techniques.
• Strong understanding of and experience working with learner-centered principles, models and practices for organizational and personal behavior change.
• Experience working with communities that are underrepresented in the outdoors, science, and the environmental industries. (Lived experience is a plus.)
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team.
• Willingness to work irregular and long hours in the field
• Ability to travel roughly 25% per year nationally and internationally
• Access to a person vehicle and valid driver’s license
• Spanish or additional language proficiency is a plus
$53,303 - $63,345
Contact email: [email protected]
Resume and cover letter
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job