Texas Campaign for the Environment
About the organization
TEXAS CAMPAIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT is the state’s largest non-profit environmental and consumer advocacy group with a 25 year history of winning groundbreaking campaigns. Our dedicated year-round presence in our community, and the crucial grassroots organizing that we do every day, has resulted in monumental changes in our state and local environmental policies, and we've held polluters accountable amongst other landmark victories, we've recently made several notable accomplishments:
Win recycling in apartments and condos in Dallas by 2020
Fort Worth-based Pier 1 Imports phasing out out toxic flame retardants in their furniture
Houston Mayor Annise Parker bringing curbside recycling to all Houston households
Rayovac publicly announcing its support for manufacturer-led battery recycling programs
TCE has truly pioneered a community-based structure of organizing. Now we need you to help tackle Texas’ most recent problem, law-breaking oil and gas polluters damaging public health.
Texas Campaign for the Environment is currently seeking activists to organize on statewide grassroots campaigns to fight pollution by shifting corporate and governmental policy. The Community Organizer will be responsible for creating relationships within designated community areas of the city and building our grassroots base of supporters. The Organizer will be held to high expectations of performance with weekly and monthly goals for various organizing activities.
• Grassroots community organizing
• Membership recruitment, fundraising and letter-writing campaigns
• Community outreach and coalition-building
• Identifying voters and volunteers
• Planning and participating in demonstrations and political actions
• Testifying at public hearings and events
We need new voices to add to our current staff of professional, skilled, and passionate activists to strengthen our community lobbying presence. We offer extensive training, and opportunities for management experience and travel.
• High-level relationship building skills with the ability to build consensus, engage a wide range of diverse stakeholders and allies, and navigate complex community and political dynamics.
• Ability to work independently, problem solve, and manage time and priorities.
• Good listening, speaking, and writing communication skills.
• Genuine commitment to the environment, progressive politics, and the vision of a just and equitable society.
• Some related non-profit, political, or volunteer experience is preferred but not required.
• Bilingual skills a plus.
Qualified candidates possess strong communication skills and a genuine passion for the environment and progressive politics. Some related non-profit, political, or volunteer experience is preferred but not required.
Contact email: [email protected]
• Web: www.texasenvironment.org
• LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/texas-campaign-for-the-environment
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/texasenvironment
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/txenvironment
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/txenvironment
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job