Entry Level (Q-2) Police Officer
San Francisco Police Department
About the organization
The City and County of San Francisco invites you to join a highly respected police department and serve the citizens of one of the most beautiful cities in the country. San Francisco Police Officers perform a wide variety of duties to promote public safety and security, prevent crime and enforce the law. Police officers perform a number of essential functions. For example, they patrol districts to prevent and detect crime; respond to calls for assistance; conduct criminal investigations; interact with the community to build cooperation and support; pursue and arrest suspects; enforce traffic and parking laws; write reports and maintain records; work with superiors, peers, and others as a team; prepare for and participate in planned events; prepare for court and give testimony; and fulfill other administrative duties when required. This is much more than a job; it is an opportunity to build a career of which you can be proud.
Police Officer Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Patrolling their districts, responding to calls for service, conducting investigations, writing reports, pursuing and detaining suspects, and making arrests.
- Participating in community policing programs.
- Enforcing traffic and parking laws.
- Preparing for and participating in planned events.
- Preparing for and attending court.
- Participating in self-development activities and attending training.
- Be 21 years of age.
- There is no maximum age limit.
- Have not been convicted of a felony crime.
- Have not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- Have not been convicted of any misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession or control of a firearm.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a U.S. High School Diploma, have passed a G.E.D. or the California High School Proficiency - - Examination, or have an AA or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a valid driver's license to operate an automobile.
- Experience in the United States Military
- Proficiency in a second language relevant to San Francisco communities
$89,846/year (Top Step Officer Salary: $133,792)
Contact email: [email protected]
The Police Officer Testing Components:
A written examination will test 3 components: Written language ability, reading ability and video-based human relations-test.
A physical ability examination that measures strength, endurance, equilibrium and flexibility.
An oral interview that tests oral communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
Candidates who pass the three part Police Officer examination process move on to the Background Investigation process. The Background Investigation process consists of:
- Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) Evaluation
- Employment, Character and Background Investigation
- Review of Judicial and Driving Records
- Polygraph Examination
- Testing for Use of Controlled Substances
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination that includes a vision test, a hearing test and height/weight measurements.
For more information, visit SFPDCAREERS.COM
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job