English, Math or Science teacher
Burao Academy of Science and Technology
About the organization
Burao Academy of Science and Technology is an independent, non-profit, coeducational, boarding middle and high school. Opened in 2016 by a group of professional Somali-Americans, Burao Academy of Science & Technology is committed to help lift the next generation of Somalis out of hopelessness with the gift of education. By bringing high quality education to the youth living in one of the least developed countries in Africa, we believe today’s students will be tomorrow's teachers, doctors, engineers, scientists, and entrepreneurs.
Our students have unparalleled access in a nurturing co-educational environment:
•STEM education combined with Cisco IT Programs
•Sustainable energy & environmental resilience studies
•Community engagement & mentorship programs
1. Teach English as a Second Language for 7th through 12th grade students
2. Assist in developing and implementing plans for the curriculum program.
3. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences.
4. Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
5. Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, and prepare progress reports.
6. Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned, e.g. youth clubs, library development and sports activities.
7. Flexible and willing to fill in and assist as needed at the school.
8. Prepared to collaborate and communicate with other teachers, parents and the school board.
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher
2. Experience teaching, lesson planning or supervising children in an education setting
3. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively
4. Ability to adapt to change and be flexible
Monthly Stipend & Negotiable
Contact email: [email protected]
Burao Academy of Science and Technology is currently recruiting motivated, self-reliant teachers for the 2023-2024 school year, commencing in August 2023. We are looking for ambitious and motivated teachers to take on an exciting challenge to teach in Somaliland. If you want to touch lives each passing day, if you believe that every child deserves the right to a high-quality education, if you want to prepare students for unlimited global opportunities, apply today!
Full room and board on campus, modern individual private apartment provided, cook & janitorial crew
1. A monthly salary
2. IT development opportunity (CISCO Networking Academy training & certifications)
3. Teaching and cultural experience in a supportive environment
4. Round-trip airfare from your home country to Somaliland
5. Emergency travel evacuation insurance
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply