EnCorps STEM Expert Tutor
EnCorps and AmeriCorps STEM Expert Tutors
About the organization
EnCorps STEM Expert Tutors will play a major role by emphasizing STEM education, and volunteerism within the Los Angeles education community. We strive to solve the STEM literacy crisis in California by leveraging community volunteers and AmeriCorps part-time service members in under-resourced high schools and afterschool programs. Our support experts in the STEM fields as they empower high school students through STEM centered hands-on practice.
● Assist high school teachers and College Track staff in identifying students who would benefit from afterschool math and science tutoring programs.
● Plan tutoring sessions and provide small-group and one-to-one math literacy and/or science literacy tutoring to high school youth
● Support student academic success by partnering with teachers and school staff to facilitate differentiated learning activities
● Create, support and/or co-lead science and/or math-focused events to enrich school science and or math culture and climate
● Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs recognizing and appreciating growth and/or achievement in science and/or math
● Record time spent with students providing small group and one-to-one tutoring in our data management system
● Participate in and/or lead facilitated data review and student progress monitoring meetings utilizing business intelligence tools per team schedule
● Promote a positive learning environment
● Be prepared for tutoring.
● Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status, unfortunately, are not eligible at this time)
● Have a college degree, with one-year STEM Industry experience
● Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps State or national program
● Agree to and pass a criminal background check
● Be able to begin EnCorps AmeriCorps by mid-September, 2019
Contact email: [email protected]
What we offer:
● AmeriCorps members earn an annual living stipend of $4,000 for part-time service
● AmeriCorps members in California can earn an education award totaling $3,047.50 after successfully completing their service term.
● You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
● We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
AmeriCorps members serve part-time (approximately 25 hours/week) from August 2019 through June 2020, and must commit to a service term of 900 hours over an 11-month period.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job