Emergency Management Specialist (Recovery)
FEMA Region X
About the organization
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
• Managing various Public Assistance and Fire Management Assistance program needs and components of the organization required for rapid Federal response to Presidentially declared major disasters and emergencies.
• Serving in various management, supervisory roles in the administration, coordination, and delivery of disaster assistance operations.
• Analyzing information relative to the public sector on developing situations to determine potential for a gubernatorial request for a Presidential declaration of an emergency or major disaster under the supervision of senior Public Assistance staff.
• Carrying out assigned technical tasks under the supervision of senior Public Assistance staff including but not limited to floodplain management and wetland protection, environmental assessment, 406 mitigation and insurance requirements.
• Reviewing recommendations and actions and assures that the pertinent regulations and procedures are followed in the implementation of the Public Assistance program.
One full year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-07) in the Federal Service. This experience may have been gained in the federal government, a state or local government, a non-profit organization, the private sector, or as a volunteer; however, your resume must clearly describe at least one year of experience. Make sure to list dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY).
Experience for this position includes:
• Assisting in the application of laws, regulations, and policies related to disaster assistance; and,
• Collecting and/or tracking data and reports from a variety of sources, and;
• Collaborating with stakeholders to collect, organize, and maintain information.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree
2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.B. or J.D., if related
A combination of education and experience described above, which meets 100% of the qualification requirement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Contact email: [email protected]
Additional Required Attachments:
• Official or Unofficial College Transcript (If qualifying based on education)
• Certification of Volunteer Service
• Non-competitive eligibility letter from the Peace Corps
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for it to be credited towards qualifications. Provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If qualifying based on education and/or are selected for a position which requires a college degree to meet minimum qualification requirements, you will be required to submit your official college transcript(s) at the time of selection.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply