The Horticultural Society of New York
About the organization
Founded in 1902, The Hort’s mission is to sustain the vital – now more recognized – connection between people and plants. The Hort’s social service and public programs educate and inspire, growing a broad community that values horticulture for the many benefits it brings to our environment, neighborhoods, and lives.
Educate students using established curricula emphasizing hands-on botany, nutrition, art, natural science and gardening activities
Maintain attendance and learning outcome records
Plant, propagate, cultivate, and maintain school and community gardens
Organize, order and deliver supplies
Assist with training, mentoring and scheduling interns
· 4-year college degree in education, environmental science, botany or related field.
· Experience with both educating children and gardening.
- Experience with gardening or farming.
· Love of travel by public transportation.
· Willingness to work both indoors and outdoors.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Ability to work both independently and with department staff to complete projects on a timely basis.
· Ability to shine amid tight deadlines and changing conditions.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs.
· Saturday hours required.
· Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Contact email: [email protected]
Send cover letter and resume with subject line: EDUCATOR POSITION to [email protected] Pamela Ito, Director of Education
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job