Education Program Specialist, GS-1720-9 (OPE/HEP)
Department of Education
About the organization
ED's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.
ED was created in 1980 by combining offices from several federal agencies. ED's 4,400 employees and $68 billion budget are dedicated to:
• Establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds.
• Collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research.
• Focusing national attention on key educational issues.
• Prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.
Provide support for the programs administered by Higher Education Programs (HEP) by providing technical assistance to grantees in the administration and management of funded projects.
Assist applicants with requirements for submitting proposals for grants and on appropriate ways of developing program proposals to be submitted in grant applications.
Review annual performance reports and make recommendations for continuation of funding based on the extent of substantial progress in grantees' achievement of approved objectives.
Participate in the peer review process of grant proposals under consideration for awards of grants and contracts and make funding and policy recommendations to the program staff concerning pending awards and related matters.
Participate in conducting site visits for the purpose of assessment and evaluation of funded grants.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
You may meet the minimum qualifications for the GS-9 if you possess:
Two years of graduate education.
A master's degree or equivalent degree.
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (GS-07) in federal service that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position (see description below).
A combination of specialized experience and education that when taken as a percentage of the required education and experience total 100% or more.
Specialized Experience for the GS-9
One year of experience equivalent to the GS-7 performing all three (3) of the following duties or work assignments:
1. Experience in communicating effectively both orally and in writing through various means.
2. Experience reviewing and analyzing education policies, regulations, and procedures.
3. Experience working on multiple assignments simultaneously.
Contact email: [email protected]
FULL PERFORMANCE LEVEL OF THE POSITION IS GS-12. POSITION IS EXEMPT UNDER FAIR LABOR ACT (FLSA). CAREER LADDER OFPD# P8851 T, GS-12 AND PD# P8851A, GS-11.
You must submit (REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTS):
• A resume demonstrating your education, experience, training, and accomplishments as it relates to the qualifications for this position and substantiating your responses to the occupational questionnaire.
If you are qualifying based on education, you must submit:
• Transcripts showing course titles, number of credits, and dates of completion. You may submit unofficial transcripts as part of your application; however, if you are selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to appointment.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply