East Africa Communications Specialist
Management and Engineering Technologies International Inc.
About the organization
Management and Engineering Technologies International, Inc. (METI) works in support of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Office of International Programs by hiring staff to work on international natural resource projects. The USFS Office of International Programs promotes sustainable natural resource management and biodiversity conservation internationally. By linking the skills of the field-based staff of the USFS with partners overseas, the agency can address the world’s most critical forestry issues and concerns. The USFS regularly engages the agency's wide range of expertise in over 90 countries, for programs on sustainable forest management, climate change, combatting illegal logging, fire management, and other topics.
In collaboration with the USFS International Programs (IP) office in Washington, DC, the USFS East Africa Communications Specialist would help design and execute communications programs.
The specialist would report to the US Forest Service East Africa Regional Coordinator and would plan, execute, and coordinate communications activities. The specialist would work with colleagues from USFS, USAID, and partner institutions (e.g., governmental and non-governmental institutions, local communities, academia, development partners, and relevant development partner-supported projects) on a continuous basis.
Responsibilities of the Specialist include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with colleagues from USFS, USAID, and other partners (e.g., local authorities, non-governmental organizations, private sector, civil society organizations, academia, and community partner organizations) on the design and implementation of program-specific communication campaigns;
• Ensure alignment with branding protocols and existing style guidance (e.g., those associated with USFS, USAID, and other entities, as needed);Provide expertise and guidance related to the relevance, applicability, and accessibility of media and media platforms (i.e., help inform decision making on which communications materials to prioritize and which platforms and software to use);
• Help USFS colleagues stay abreast of communications trends;
• Liaise closely with USFS technical teams and advisors
Advanced degree (or equivalent in practical experience) in communications, graphic design, or a related field with at least three years of experience in developing communications materials across a variety of media and platforms,
• Exceptional writing, editing, and presentation skills;
• Proficiency in media development and editing platforms like Adobe Creative Cloud, with particular emphasis on Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop;
• Familiarity with film editing programs such as Final Cut Pro desired but not requisite;
• Demonstrated experience designing infographics, multi-media briefs, pamphlets, flyers, etc.;
• Superlative capacity to filter and prioritize information and translate broad, abstract concepts into accessible, engaging, and digestible media in multiple formats (e.g., writing, graphics, website design, etc.;
• Experience cultivating and sustaining productive partnerships with colleagues operating in capacity- and resource-limited circumstances;
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment with in-country and U.S. government agencies, international donors, NGOs, community groups, and other stakeholders;
• Experience working with key government partners in the target countries preferred, but not requisite;
• Experience building websites through template systems like WordPress
Contact email: [email protected]
Send CV, Cover Letter, and two work examples to [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply