Director of Technology
About the organization
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Technology is responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Devise DataKind’s technology strategy
• Develop and oversee technology goals and metrics and coordinate development roadmap, budget, and timelines.
• In concert with senior leaders, develop and implement a new website leveraging the DataKind branding strategy.
• Ensure technical activities are in strategic alignment with the product and business goals.
• Implement consistent tracking, management, and analysis of data on projects and portfolios in support of the Product team.
• Identify creative product opportunities from project experiences across DataKind.
• Identify or develop a volunteer management system in collaboration with the Director, Global Volunteers.
• Leverage Salesforce to create a contract management system that allows DataKind to usher legal agreements through the approval process and help staff adhere to contractual terms.
Streamline and maintain technical services and support for staff and volunteers
• Maintain regulatory, data security, and cybersecurity requirements set by funders, partners, and the jurisdictions in which DataKind operates.
• Update and manage the DataKind helpdesk, providing rapid response technology support to DataKind staff and volunteer leaders.
• Ensure that volunteer data scientists have a seamless experience completing their projects with data, services, and project management tools
• At least eight years working on technical operations and software engineering with at least three years in engineering management, preferably at a growing non-profit with a remote team.
• Experience developing a technology vision and strategy in conversation with senior leadership and other stakeholders.
• Demonstrated track record of enhancing, implementing, and enforcing processes to increase operational efficiency. Principled in generating and maintaining software and systems documentation.
• Prior success leading software development, deployment, and operations under significant schedule and budget constraints.
• Familiarity with operational security concepts, modern data science toolkits, platforms, and services, and GDPR and other regulations.
• Preferably experienced in coding and leveraging code from open source locations, and proficiency with any of the following: AWS, Github, WordPress, Python, Postgres, SQL, and Salesforce.
• A Bachelor's degree strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job