Director of Global Volunteers
About the organization
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
About the Opportunity
DataKind’s data scientist volunteers are the engine of what DataKind does, applying their expertise to assist high-impact, mission-driven organizations tackle the world’s biggest challenges. With hubs across the globe in San Francisco, DC, Bangalore, the UK, and Singapore, the Director, Global Volunteers sets the vision and strategy for engaging and supporting their worldwide volunteer community.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer and managing Network Managers who offer direct support to chapters, the Director will create an environment in which volunteers can contribute in meaningful ways to DataKind’s partners, feel valued for their unique abilities, and reflect the diverse communities they represent. Ensuring that volunteers are trained and supported in their work, the Director will partner with the Center of Excellence and other Programs team staff to develop a best-in-class orientation and training program and build volunteer talent pipelines for data projects. In addition, the Director is charged with defining the strategy for the global chapter model, strategically recruiting new volunteers and chapter leaders, ensuring a clean volunteer database, and developing a taxonomy of volunteer roles and project pathways.
Ideal candidates have developed world-class volunteer engagement programs, have served as a network leader, and preferably have worked in international or volunteer contexts themselves.
● Eight years of professional experience with a background in social services or service/program delivery, and a minimum of four years providing leadership to a department, program, or service. Demonstrated experience in coordinating staff and volunteer activities.
● Experience with community outreach, community organizing, and relationship building highly preferred.
● Outstanding knowledge of current trends and information about volunteerism.
● Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals; international experience a plus.
● Demonstrated track record of enhancing, implementing, and enforcing processes to increase operational efficiency, with special preference for those with experience with volunteer management.
● Skilled in leveraging data to make strategic decisions.
● Experience with community-based knowledge management.
● Excellence in organizational management with ability to manage and develop high-performing teams to develop and implement volunteer program strategies.
● Proficiency with Salesforce (or other CRM system) a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job