Director, Grants Accounting
The National Endowment for Democracy
About the organization
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a 501(c)3, bipartisan organization that serves as America’s leading foundation for freedom, providing support for democratic activists, civil society organizations, and independent media throughout the world, as well as the NED core institutes: the National Democratic Institute (NDI), the International Republican Institute (IRI), the Solidarity Center, and the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE). Through nearly $300 million in grants annually to 1,800 partners in over 100 countries, NED is at the heart of supporting a global infrastructure for democracy.
Financial Accounting & Compliance
· Ensures the organization’s compliance with GAAP, federal regulatory, and other donor requirements, as well as NED’s own policies and procedures.
· Ensures effective cash management practices; provides oversight for the daily review and approval of federal drawdown requests on ten or more active U.S. Department of State awards at any given time.
Financial Reporting, Audit & Tax
· Responsible for the timely preparation of monthly financial statements and year-end closing, and grant award close-outs.
· Responsible for quarterly federal financial reporting (i.e., SF-425 filings) and award financial close-outs in collaboration with the NED grantmaking team.
· Reviews and/or prepares required schedules and analysis for annual audit and ad-hoc grant finances.
· Defends the NICRA negotiations and completes other tax/regulatory forms related to grant audits.
Grants Finance leadership:
· Mentors and directs the daily work of a diverse team; ensures that all work is processed efficiently during peak workload periods by establishing individual and team priorities.
· Conducts training for NED staff on new Grant accounting policies, procedures, and forms utilization as needed.
· Collaborates closely with NED's Compliance team to minimize fraud and grantee exposure.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA a plus.
11+ years of progressive experience in accounting and/or auditing, with 3+ years of experience in a managerial role supervising multiple staff.
5+ years of experience in nonprofit organizations subject to federal grants rules and regulations compliance, including demonstrated working knowledge and practical application of OMB cost principles, audit, and administrative requirements.
Prior hands-on experience in grant management systems required.
Intermediate to advanced level working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Office products.
Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles and practices, budget management, accounting report generation and utilization, and financial analysis.
Experience effectively communicating key data, including staff training and presentations to senior management.
Technology savvy with advanced knowledge of grant accounting and reporting software and experience in tailoring processes to meet the specific needs of the organization.
Paramount professional integrity, honesty, initiative, confidentiality, and dependability.
Commitment and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment; works effectively under time pressure and meets deadlines.
Good communicator with strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and customer service skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff.
Authorized to work in the U.S
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job