Direct Support Professional
About the organization
At AHRC NYC, we support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a variety of settings as they work to attain the joys of independence and growth with the assistance of professionally trained staff.
We offer individuals a wide range of programs, services and supports tailored to meet their specific needs.
-Educational Services: Our school programs offer an array of programs, services, and supports for students with disabilities and developmental delays, ages 3 to 21.
-Recreation and Camps: offers opportunity to escape the busy city and enjoy nature in beautiful upstate New York.
-Adult Day Services which supports people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury, and autism spectrum disorders to live self-determined and meaningful lives in their communities.
-Employment and Business Services: supporting people with disabilities as they prepare for employment.
-Home Care Dept- Providing services throughout the five boroughs of NYC in their own private homes.
-Residential Dept- Provide services to over 60 residence throughout the five boroughs of NYC.
Provide daily supports to adults with developmental and Intellectual disabilities in the residence and within the community. .
• Assisting with personal care and hygiene, such as bathing, dressing, and grooming
• Assisting with home skills, such as meal preparing, housekeeping, and budgeting
• Assisting with medication administration and management
• Monitoring health and ensuring safety
• Providing transportation and employment support
• Supporting community involvement and positive behavior
• Supporting recreational activities
• Teaching new skills such as self-determination and independent living
• Providing opportunities for community integration
• Working with family members
• Supporting the development of social relationships
• Professionalism; integrity; excellent communication skills; lots of patience required.
• GED or High School Diploma
• Valid NYS Driver's License REQUIRED for evening staff.
• Experience with PWI/DD preferred.
• Willingness to support people's preferences for community, activities, work, leisure activities, the exercise of their rights etc. in various settings.
• Ability to stay alert and awake at all times
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job