Customer Service Representative
About the organization
Equal Exchange is a worker-owned co-operative and alternative trade organization, founded in 1986. We are headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA with offices and warehouses in St. Paul, MN, Madison, WI, Cleveland, OH, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, and cafes in the Seattle, WA area. Unlike most companies that seek to maximize profits for their investors, our goal is to maximize benefits to farmers. We have long-term, direct relationships with small farmer organizations around the world to source delicious organic coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, sugar, olive oil, nuts and dried fruits. And, we engage consumers in the U.S. to challenge the corporate control of food and reshape our food system in ways that benefit all of us.
- Full-time, regular, non-exempt position on worker-owner track
- 40 hours per week
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
ORDER FULFILLMENT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE: (85-90%)
- Primary phone contact for sales orders, inquiries, and service questions
- Effectively answer phones, take accurate orders, and respond to questions and concerns
- Build customer confidence in our ability to care for them
- Understand customer needs
- Communicate Equal Exchange's mission
- Communicate product/equipment knowledge
- Communicate promotional deals with customers
- Problem solve with customers and team members
- Process credit memos and call tags, track customer orders (UPS)
- Process distributor/broker, wholesale, and consumer orders (web & mail order)
- Flexibility in performing other tasks, such as packing and shipping orders when necessary
- Maintain account information electronically
- Learn about, and be comfortable discussing, EE product line
- Communicate with all departments (especially Operations and Finance)
- Respond to general customer inquiries
- Specific project management as determined with supervisor
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES: (10-15%)
- Support Customer Service Manager on systems and project work as assigned
- Participation in Sales events, cupping(s), demos, etc.
- Project coordination and/or committee work
- Participate in staff, team, department and educational (Exchange Time) meetings
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies and the Fair Trade movement
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model
- Ability to communicate well with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to effectively problem solve with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities
- Ability to fill orders effectively and accurately
- Ability to be flexible & manage several tasks at once
- Good computer skills
- Exceptional attention to details
- Previous customer service experience preferred
- Experience in progressive organization preferred
- Interest in Equal Exchange's mission and customer education
Contact email: [email protected]
Send a cover letter, resume, list of 3 references, and completed answers to the application questions to: [email protected] or mail to: Equal Exchange Inc. 50 United Drive, West Bridgewater, MA 02379, C/O CS Dept.
1. How do you think U.S. consumers think about and understand fair trade? What should Equal Exchange’s role be in the current fair trade market?
2. A customer service representative’s goal is to help our Sales Department build and increase our sales through growth of existing accounts. How would you go about reaching this goal?
3. Why should we feel confident that you can reach this goal?
4. Define great customer service?
5. What interests you most about this type of work?
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply