Mango Tree Educational Enterprises Limited
About the organization
Mango Tree is a Ugandan company that has been creating innovative communication tools and learning solutions since 2000. Two decades of collaborating with teachers, farmers, health workers, and other local experts under many mango trees has grown our small employee-owned business into one of the leading providers of SBCC tools in Africa. Now we are 20 employees strong, based out of Design Hub Kampala. Our nimble team of creatives continues to help clients achieve social impact across a variety of sectors by understanding and amplifying the needs of different target audiences. Using a unique methodology based on Human-Centered Design, we bring to life new strategies, concepts, tools (both digital and traditional), training methodologies, job aids, and gamified experiences that leverage brilliant local ideas. At Mango Tree, you’ll have the opportunity to further our long-standing relationships with hundreds of clients throughout the continent including iNGOs, CBOs and Private sector.
The Creative Lead oversees the creation of Mango Tree´s innovative products and services and is a dynamic and inspiring mentor to the company’s creative team.
1. Lead participatory design research
• Facilitate co-creation workshops, focus group discussions, and in-depth interviews
• Understand project goals, user goals
2. Oversee the development of new digital and traditional products and services
• Conceptualise innovative SBCC strategies and tools
• Work with illustrators, designers, researchers and content developers to define/refine solutions
• Occasionally develop content for new products and company communication (writing, designing, editing, filming, etc.)
• Ensure products and services apply user-centered design principles and meet Mango Tree’s quality standards
3. Mentor and motivate the creative team
• Lead by example through your creative work on projects and by creating an atmosphere of respect and appreciation for all colleagues and partners
• Seek and give constructive feedback, and create a learning environment
4. Contribute to company sales and new business
• Watch trends in the creative/communication industry, the SBCC community, and in development
• Brainstorm with clients, partners and colleagues on new proposals
5 Continue to refine and define Mango Tree’s co-creation methodology, creative processes, and company communication
• Look for new ways to measure and evaluate solutions
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in a relevant field (design, SBCC, education, journalism, capacity building, learning)—senior design role preferred
• Minimum of 1-2 years experience working or volunteering in Africa, tackling development challenges with local counterparts
• Well versed in Human-Centered Design, Design Thinking and/or Community-Based Participatory Research techniques
• Strong presentation skills and the ability to facilitate workshops and influence discussions at all levels, internally and externally
• Strong English writing skills and/or visual communication skills. Demonstrated ability to structure and organize ideas beautifully and make complex content accessible for lower-literacy audiences
• Experience leading similar Human-Centered Design processes in small/medium/large enterprises in the creative/design industry is a big plus
• Experience as a teacher or trainer of adult learners is a plus
• A curious, lifelong learner, passionate about experimenting with new research and design solutions and pushing your own craft in new ways
• A sense of humor, entrepreneurial mindset, and drive for excellence
• Ability to travel frequently within Uganda and East Africa
USD 1300 - 2000 Gross
Contact email: [email protected]
We are looking for a dynamic, adaptable design professional with at least five years experience to lead our creative team. We’re excited about candidates with a wide array of past roles and experiences. You may be a design strategist, SBCC specialist, Human-Centered Design guru, capacity builder, journalist or perhaps a former teacher with a knack for making exceptional learning tools.
Please forward CV, cover letter, and two work samples that demonstrate the creative qualifications described above to [email protected]
We are conducting interviews with suitable candidates as applications come in, so please submit your application ASAP.
The selected candidate will be invited to work with Mango Tree for a probation period of three months. This period gives the candidate and Mango Tree a chance to get to know each other and to assure the match is a great fit.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job