Meds & Food for Kids
About the organization
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK) is a social enterprise, operating in the north of Haiti, with an administrative headquarters office in St. Louis, Missouri. A social enterprise has social goals which it meets by following sound business principles; it reinvests all positive margins back into the mission. MFK is dedicated to saving the lives of Haiti’s malnourished children and other nutritionally vulnerable people. MFK accomplishes its mission by developing, producing and distributing highly nutritious foods, including the gold-standard Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF). It makes its food products in Haiti, using Haitian workers and, whenever possible, Haitian raw materials. The factory is run increasingly with Haitian management, as a requisite for a sustainable future.
Oversee and optimize all aspects of Cap-Haitien operations including safety and environmental compliance, manufacturing reliability and capacity, product quality and cost performance. Ensure that manufacturing site maintains compliance with all locally applicable laws and regulations. Under general direction from his/her manager, operates with autonomy and latitude in decision making.
1. Production Facility Management: Oversees the factory plant manager with a focus on improving service levels, improving overall plant performance and right-sizing material inventories. Oversees human resources management and systems improvement analyses. Responsible for emergency preparedness and work place safety.
2. Capital Investments: Facilitates the analyses required for purchase of new production equipment and the cash flow; oversees project management.
3. Enterprise Resource Planning: Manages the continued implementation of ERP Next. This includes setting up new system modules as needed, and providing training in it to key users. Oversee Information technology at the factory.
4. Oversees Factory Finances: With support from the MFK Accounting Department, manages the bookkeeper’s responsibilities of creating weekly cash flow reports, weekly bank account reconciliations and provides oversight of Haitian operation expenditures and petty cash.
5. Supply Chain Management: Oversees the optimization of strategic purchasing, inventory
Key Food Safety Responsibilities:
• To oversee monitoring of food safety standards within MFK
• To manage the Heads of department (Plant Operations, Supply Chain, Customer Service, Human Resources, Government Relations) ensuring that the policies, including food safety policies, are being effectively implemented.
• To manage the performance of direct reports, including the Plant Manager, Supply Chain Manager, Customer Service Manager, Human Resources Manager, and Government Relations Manager, with reference to their responsibilities detailed within the policy, and to take the necessary action to secure compliance with the objectives.
• To review the contents of the Food Safety Management System and assist the senior management team with the periodic review of the policy.
o Four-year university Bachelor's degree in Management, Food Science or Engineering or equivalent experience in one or more of these areas
o Masters degree preferred
o 8-10 years of management experience, preferably in a manufacturing setting in the developing world
o Experience living and working in Haiti strongly preferred.
o Fluent in English (must have)
o Fluent in French and/ or Haitian Creole.
o Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement, Lean Manufacturing and quality management systems
o Strong cost accounting and financial management skills for managing manufacturing schedules, budgets and reporting
commensurate with experience
Contact email: [email protected]
• Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
• Health insurance and medical evacuation insurance
• Five weeks of paid vacation
• Housing in Cap-Haitien or housing allowance
• Annual round-trip ticket to country of residence
Send CV and cover letter to [email protected], with “Country Director” in subject line. Only candidates meeting requirements will receive response.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job