Consultancy: Vanuatu Port-Based Extension Officer
About the organization
WWF-Pacific and the Vanuatu Fisheries Department with the support of the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP) By-catch and Integrated Ecosystem Management (BIEM) Initiative are looking to recruit a Consultant to improve the uptake of by-catch mitigation measures for species and special interest in the Pacific long-line fleet.
The BIEM Initiative is a key result area five of the of the Pacific-European Union Marine Partnership (PEUMP) programme, which is funded by the European Union and the Government of Sweden and is executed by SPREP.
Consultancy will be based in Vanuatu, Port Vila.
• Availability for the entire duration of the project is mandatory.
• Willingness to travel in-country (within Vanuatu) is mandatory.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and local languages; understanding of Chinese (Mandarin) will be an advantage.
• Proven networking and interpersonal skills and ability to engage with a broad range of stakeholders of different nationalities, including fishing crews, industry and government representatives.
• Familiarity with survey tools (eg. Port sampling surveys, in-person interviews) and implementing surveys is preferred, but not mandatory.
• Proven knowledge and understanding of offshore tuna fisheries in Vanuatu.
• Knowledge of the Western Central Pacific Fishing Commission (WCPFC) and Vanuatu government policies and responsibilities on compliance and by-catch.
• Demonstrated ability to work unsupervised, meet tight deadlines and manage competing priorities
• The ability to manage and work within specified project budgets.
• Experience using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• A well-developed network of contacts in the Vanuatu tuna long-line fishing and port sector.
• Must have own reliable laptop, mobile phone and access to the Internet.
• Clearly demonstrate behaviors aligned to the culture of WWF: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly and Innovate Fearlessly
• Identify and align with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect & Collaboration.
Terms of Reference
For more information on the Consultancy, the Terms of Reference can be downloaded from our website.
Contact email: [email protected]
How to Apply?
Email applications are to be sent to: [email protected] with the subject line: “Consultancy: Vanuatu Port-Based Extension Officer” and should include the following:
1. Resume/CV with the name and contact details of two professional referees,
2. One-two page cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of this role, and your ability to commit to the full duration of the project.
Deadline for applications: Friday, 24th September, 2021
WWF & Vanuatu Fisheries Department are equal opportunity employers and committed to having a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job