Community Water Center
About the organization
Community Water Center (CWC) acts as a catalyst for community-driven water solutions through organizing, education, and advocacy. We seek to build and enhance leadership capacity and local community power around water issues, create regional movements for water justice in California, and enable every community to have access to safe, clean, and affordable drinking water.
At CWC, we believe that safe, clean, and affordable water is a human right, not a privilege. Our organizing and advocacy work, community collaborations, and organizational culture all reflect a concern for equity, mutual respect, appreciation for diversity, and environmental and social justice. We are looking for candidates who share our values, who bring a willingness to contribute to our mission and to the growth of a new organization, and who are open to developing their skills. CWC currently has offices in Visalia, Sacramento and Watsonville
The Communications Manager is primarily responsible for overseeing media relations, organizational communications (eblasts, web presence, social media), and supporting CWC’s fundraising efforts.
The Communications Manager is a full-time position based out of our Sacramento office and will report to the Policy Director. This position will work closely with CWC’s Director of Strategic Partnerships and the Executive Director, as well as other CWC staff, community members, ally organizations and agencies, and various interns.
● Foster an environment that promotes trust and cooperation amongst CWC staff, community members, ally organizations and all other stakeholders.
● Actively participate in program strategy, staff meetings, and staff retreat.
● Support the tracking and reporting of CWC’s activities for internal planning and
evaluation, grants reports and contractual obligations.
● Actively participate in CWC fund development activities, such as donor drives, online appeals, and other events.
● Other duties as assigned.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
● Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
● Excellent public speaking skills
● Strong passion for and commitment to social and environmental justice
● Experience in public relations and/or media relations
● Experience with social media
● Experience working with low-income communities and/or communities of color
● Proficient in Microsoft and Google Office Suites
● Proven ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced office environment and meet deadlines
● Ability to accept praise and critical feedback – the ideal candidate would value self-improvement and seek evaluation
● Fluent in English and Spanish (written and oral)
● Graduate degree in journalism, communications, public policy, or related field
● 3+ years experience in journalism, public relations, media relations, public policy, or government affairs
● Experience working in the Central Valley and/or Salinas Valley or familiarity with key environmental justice issues facing these regions
● Graphic design skills
● Web design skills
● Video editing skills
● Photo editing skills
● Coding (HTML + CSS) skills
Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications.
Contact email: [email protected]
Email your resume and cover letter to Christina Marquez, Administrative Assistant at [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job