About the organization
El Pueblo’s mission is to build collective power through leadership development, organizing, and direct action so that the Latin American community and other marginalized communities control our own stories and destinies. El Pueblo’s core strategies include integrated voter engagement, lobbying for state level policy change, leadership development of grassroots community members, and cultural expression for social change. The organization and its core group of activists and leaders are based in Wake County, although our voter engagement and policy efforts work in coalition with other organizations and communities throughout the state.
El Pueblo is looking for a dynamic, forward thinker to lead our communications! The primary purpose of this job is to elevate and help grow El Pueblo’s story and the narrative of immigrant communities across the state of North Carolina. Candidates would be asked to do this through the use of various media channels, including traditional Spanish and English media outlets, El Pueblo’s website, and social media.
Media Relations (40%)
• Cultivate relationships with our media partners and conduct press outreach to pitch stories, maximize media coverage, and enhance El Pueblo’s visibility in communities.
• Train and support youth and adult community members to act as spokespeople, by helping them write letters to the editor and guest opinion articles.
• Support the organization to develop policy positions and messaging that is aligned with El Pueblo’s mission and vision.
• Draft press materials, including press releases and media advisories.
Online Communications (50%)
• Support e-activism campaigns through online petitions, text alerts, etc.
• Develop and manage dynamic content for organization’s website and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram).
• Develop and update promotional materials for El Pueblo.
$37,000 - $47,000
Contact email: [email protected]
To apply, please write a simple email in both English and Spanish to [email protected] Include a cover letter in Spanish and English and attach your resume. Please write in the subject line: Communications Coordinator. Applications will be received until September 30th, 2019.
Members of communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, immigrant communities, and other historically disenfranchised communities are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply