Communications and Development Associate
Kentucky Center for Economic Policy
About the organization
KCEP seeks to build a thriving and equitable commonwealth and improve the quality of life for all Kentuckians through research, education and advocacy on important policy issues facing the state. KCEP is a non-profit, non-partisan organization and a respected provider of solid information on the impact of policies on Kentucky communities. It strives for strategic, timely and analytically rigorous research as well as compelling, clear and accessible communications. KCEP seeks to influence public understanding and debate about state fiscal and economic issues and contribute to real, lasting improvements in policy. Founded in 2011, KCEP is affiliated with the Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED).
The duties and responsibilities of the Communications and Development Associate include the following.
Support effective communication of KCEP research and create compelling communications content
• Stay current on effective messaging frameworks across KCEP issue areas.
• Edit reports, analyses, op-eds, testimony, issue campaign documents, etc., for substance, clarity and style.
• Work with deputy director and appropriate staff to develop and implement a communications strategy for each analysis, brief and report.
• Draft press releases, press advisories, statements, op-eds, talking points, letters to the editor, scripts for advocacy efforts and other communications assets.
• Create social media content communicating KCEP research, positions and media mentions including Twitter & Facebook posts, graphics and quotes.
• Produce (working with contractors when appropriate) communications vehicles including layouts for reports, infographics, interactives, microsites, videos and other multi-media products.
Advance reach of KCEP’s work through earned and social media and other outlets
• Track media mentions, record them in the performance spreadsheet and on the website.
• Track and ensure the database of reporter and media outlet contacts is kept current.
• Identify and implement strategies to expand social media audience.
• Manage KCEP website, loading content and ensuring it is accessible, visually appealing and well-organized; and work to increase site tr
• Strongly articulated interest in and commitment to social, economic and racial justice.
• Bachelor’s degree, all fields considered but a background in a related field such as communications, marketing or public relations is a plus.
• Two years of experience in media or public relations, communications, journalism, fundraising/development, advocacy or a related field.
• Excellent writing and editing skills that demonstrate ability to simplify complex information for different audiences.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to organize administrative processes to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
• Self-motivated, creative thinker with the ability to work both independently and constructively in teams.
• Knowledge of graphic design software.
• Knowledge of public policy.
• Ability to carry out responsibilities and perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
• Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work.
• Manual dexterity needed to operate computer.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
• Either insurability on MACED’s group vehicle policy or access to a reliable vehicle for regular trips.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics
• Knowledge of and experience working in Kentucky policy and politics.
• Experience working in nonprofit organizations and with grassroots advocacy efforts.
Contact email: [email protected]
The position offers a competitive salary based on experience, with a generous benefits package. The position is located in Berea or Louisville (work-at-home procedures are in place during the COVID-19 emergency).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that is diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender identity, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, abilities, veteran status and other qualities. We encourage people of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Please do not let childcare challenges related to the pandemic deter you from applying.
Please e-mail your resume, contact information for three professional references and a cover letter specifically explaining why you are a good fit for this position to [email protected] Applications submitted before 5 p.m. ET on August 5, 2020 will receive priority review, but application review will continue until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job