Environmental Protection Agency - Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxic, Toxic Release Inventory Program Division
About the organization
The Communication Specialist position is located in the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics’, Toxic Release Inventory Division. In 1986, Congress passed the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). Section 313 of EPCRA established the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI), giving all Americans the right to information on toxic chemicals in their communities. TRI collects data from industrial facilities and federal facilities about which toxic chemicals they are using, how much of each toxic chemical is released into the environment, and what they’re doing to prevent pollution. EPA makes this information available online to the public, community members, researchers, industrial facilities, investors, and government agencies so that they can make more informed decisions that impact human health and the environment.
The Communication Specialist supports the Communications and Outreach Branch in raising overall awareness of the TRI program to both internal and external stakeholders. Performs multiple and varying assignments which include the following:
• Supports the Communications/Outreach branch in planning, developing and executing communication strategies that articulate and interpret TRI program for the various stakeholders
• Develops creative, visual communications products, which may include: instructional, or visual presentations, graphics, video, and other multimedia
• Develops social media content and strategy
• Develops talking points, identifying employee engagement opportunities, and/or outreach events activities
• Serves as a point of contact for incoming media and stakeholder inquiries
• Develops press releases, listserv messages, fact sheets and updates website content
• Supports the data validation and tools enhancement efforts by supporting the team in creating user centered applications, training and communications.
• Assists in the documentation of the program’s information technology (IT) applications business rules and updating technical documents
• Assists in documenting processes and identifying opportunities to streamline and improve the processes
• Proposes creative ideas and provides solutions to improve ongoing and future activities
• Masters Degree
• Experience developing and editing web content for various audiences
• Experience presenting Web-related information in a logical and clear manner for both technical and non-technical audiences
• Experience using Content Management software
• Experience with database management
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Background in IT preferred but not essential
Contact email: [email protected]
Must be a U.S. Citizen to apply.
Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
Must be suitable for Federal employment.
Qualifications requirements must be met by closing date of announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply