Commonwealth Corps Service Internship
About the organization
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in direct service to strengthen communities, address address critical needs, and increase volunteerism. Commonwealth Corps members provide direct service, build capacity, and recruit, organize and mobilize additional volunteers, thus building a grassroots movement of volunteers dedicated to service. Commonwealth Corps provide opportunities for skill building, leadership development and encourages and enhances a lifelong civic vocation for Corps members.
By taking on a year of service, you can positively impact your community while gaining skills and experience. Stipended full-time and half-time service internship positions are available across the Commonwealth. Commonwealth Corps is managed by the Massachusetts Service Alliance, a private, nonprofit organization that serves as the state commission on service and volunteerism.
- Complete a minimum of 1,500 (full-time) or 750 (half-time) hours of service, serving from mid-August through the end of June.
- Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA (minimum of 6 total, post-orientation) and host site, including a new member orientation.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 hour (full-time) or 30 minutes (half-time) of professional development-related activities each week (in person or virtually).
- Complete the host site-specific responsibilities detailed in their individual position descriptions.
- Massachusetts residency and legal authorization to work in the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Experience with or interest in volunteerism and community engagement
- Ability to balance service commitment with other family/work/school commitments in a sustainable way
- Host-site-specific qualifications detailed in their individual position descriptions.
- Stipend of $800 (full-time) or $400 (half-time) every other week while in service, up to $16,800 (full-time) or $8,400 (half-time), minus taxes and withholdings;
- Health insurance (full-time members only, no monthly premium/contribution, individual coverage only);
- Member assistance program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7, phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions, plus a lot more;
- Completion award of up to $3,000 (full-time) or $1,500 (half-time) upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Training and other professional development opportunities, including outside training stipend up to $100;
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities; Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from their usual service location, according to that agency's policies;
- The opportunity for at least 10 (full-time) or 5 (half-time) days of planned absences (may include holidays);
- Other benefits specified by the host site.
$800 (full-time) or $400 (half-time) every other week while in service, up to $16,800 (full-time) or $8,400 (half-time), minus taxes and withholdings; plus additional benefits as outlined above.
Contact email: [email protected]
Recruitment for the 2020-2021 program year is NOW OPEN. We are currently recruiting for the 2020-2021 service term from August 17, 2020, through June 26, 2021. Interested candidates will need to apply directly to the host site(s) of interest, for the particular position(s) on our website. Application deadlines are rolling, so please apply ASAP.
Host site partners recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. During the application period, host site partners welcome applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job