College and Career Advisor
Comprehensive Development, Inc.
About the organization
Comprehensive Development, Inc. (CDI) seeks an experienced college advisor to serve the unique student community at Manhattan Comprehensive Night & Day High School (MCNDHS).
With a mission to remove barriers to graduation, we provide intensive college and career readiness, engaging students through dynamic programming and experiential learning opportunities in order to prepare them for post-graduate success.
Our services include:
- College and career services that provide information and resources to students
- Support services that provide legal assistance and case management
- Tutoring services that help students overcome academic obstacles to graduation
- Post-graduation college and career services
- Internship program
Provide comprehensive College and Career advisement services for youth ages 16-22 in a NYC public transfer high school with a large immigrant population.
- Extensive knowledge of the college admissions process and financial aid system (FAFSA).
- Familiarity with the CUNY system including CUNY Start and ASAP is essential, as well as other relevant college admissions initiatives like HEOP.
- Knowledge of career paths and the ability to advise students on post-graduation options available to them.
- Ability to assess student barriers to post-secondary success and make referrals to additional resources (i.e., training programs) as needed.
- Collaborate successfully in a multilingual and multicultural environment with immigrant and native-born student populations alike.
- Communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders including organization staff, school administration and teachers, students and their families, and staff at colleges and universities.
- Second language skills are crucial. (The most common languages spoken by our students include Spanish, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Wolof, Fulani, Bengali and Arabic.)
- Experience working with high school students in an urban setting and/or community based organizations required.
- Minimum education level: Bachelor's degree.
- Drive, empathy and a sense of humor are indispensable.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by August 1st, 2019.
Contact email: [email protected]
Resume and Cover letter
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job