YMCA International Services
About the organization
YMCA International Services is a unique branch of the Y of Greater Houston and seeks to meet the needs of Houston’s significant refugee and immigrant communities. We provide comprehensive programs that focus on building human assets and fostering self-sufficiency.
As a Civics Instructor, you will recruit legal permanent residents who seek to apply for naturalization. You will be responsible for providing placement testing, grading assignments, referring clients to the immigration department for naturalization application processing, and conducting outreach activities. Your ultimate goal is to assist clients in passing the citizenship test with USCIS.
• Recruiting clients and receiving referrals
• Teaching between 16-20 hours per week between Citizenship Civics and other classes offered by our Education Department.
• Provide citizenship courses during the time of day when clients are available. This may include a Saturday class or evening hours.
• Meeting requirements of grant including determining client eligibility, writing case notes, and maintaining digital databases.
• Completing required certifications and being familiar with updated resources.
• Providing placement testing.
• Preparing curriculum materials and assessing assignments.
• Fostering ties between the students and the larger community to facilitate immigrant civic participation.
• Identifying outreach/recruiting opportunities and providing presentations to community groups.
• Other duties as assigned, including occasional airport pick-up.
The Civics Instructor is responsible for the following:
• Recruiting and serving 120 students per year
• Reporting documentation maintained in each applicant’s file.
• Degree in Education, History, or Social Sciences (or related field);
• One year of adult education teaching experience;
• Native-English speaker (preferred) with proficiency in an additional language.
• Texas Driver’s License; clean driving record; own vehicle; and applicable auto insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job