Chief Advancement and Business Development Officer
H C Smith Ltd
About the organization
CHILD AID - THE ORGANIZATION, MISSION AND OPPORTUNITY
- Child Aid, headquartered in Portland, OR, transforms how reading and literacy are taught so all children have access to a quality education and the opportunity to improve their lives, communities, and the world. We focus on Guatemala - which has the lowest literacy rates in Latin America and one of the highest levels of income inequality in the world - and on rural indigenous villages where poverty and illiteracy are most acute.
- Child Aid has created an integrated, program that provides teacher training and hands-on, in-classroom coaching, along with the distribution of grade appropriate, Spanish language, fiction and non-fiction books. Our staff comprises almost entirely indigenous trainers, who are bilingual in Spanish and the Mayan languages spoken in these communities. In 2018, approximately 100 schools will be enrolled in our 4-year program. This translates to 1000 teachers and 24,000 students.
- In 2016, when rigorous testing showed a measurable impact on student achievement of Child Aid's high-touch approach, demand throughout the areas where we work in Guatemala increased dramatically, with specific requests from an additional 500 - 700 schools. Servicing this demand will require a very substantial increase in training and supervisory staff and the creation of additional office locations in Guatemala.
- Child Aid believes that its programs and personnel are ready for such an expansion. However, to achieve it over the next 2 - 5 years, will require moving beyond our current, limited number of loyal individual and family foundation donors. We will need to solicit funds from private individuals, foundations and corporate organizations who have not yet heard of Child Aid but would likely be impressed with the efficiency, efficacy, passion and mission of the organization. It will also necessitate enlarging the board, staff and the number of donors at all levels. There are currently 15 board members, 4 staff members in Portland and 24 staff members in Guatemala (21 of those which are Guatemala nationals).
H C Smith Ltd is pleased to represent Child Aid in its search for a Chief Advancement and Business Development Officer. This newly created position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with members of the Board of Directors and staff to raise the funds and develop the business relationships necessary to fund the current operation and expand the reach of Child Aid beyond the schools and teacher community currently being served and, potentially, beyond Guatemala. We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of raising funds nationally and internationally for non-governmental organizations. The selected candidate will promote the work of Child Aid and educate thought leaders and potential donors who can personally assist in supporting the mission or connect the organization to those who can.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships with individuals, foundations and corporate sponsors who can support the mission and work of Child Aid. Build a pipeline of significant funders who align with Child Aid's mission.
- Cultivate new leads, research and prepare strategies and solicit gifts of $25,000 or more from individuals, foundations and corporate organizations. Serve as the relationship manager for a portfolio of prospects and donor relationships. Involve staff and board at appropriate times to assist in presentations.
- Collaborate with staff on the preparation of grant proposals reflecting the most up to date information on Child Aid activities. Coordinate the grant reporting process with staff.
- Maintain accurate records, contact reports, updates on visits and communications and report regularly to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Coordinate efforts within the organization to assure donor stewardship.
- Assure that best practices are in place and that relevant and innovative fundraising messages are developed for diverse demographic and geographic supporters.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and proven ability to establish and maintain relationships with major gift prospects.
- Documented history of closing gifts in excess of $25,000 with successful track record of coordinating and/or soliciting gifts at the $500,000 plus level with national and international donors.
- Collaborator who is comfortable assisting others to take the lead or can take the lead when necessary." Ability to set priorities and execute plans effectively.
- Compelling and engaging interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.
- Flexibility in dealing with a wide variety of people combined with the ability to process information and accurately share it with colleagues
- Talent for handling multiple projects and meeting gifts in excess of $25,000 with successful track record of coordinating and/or soliciting gifts at the $500,000 plus level.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree combined with 7-10 years of experience in major gift fundraising.
- Experience in global fund development is preferred.
- Creative, problem solver who can work independently and be self-motivated.
- Spanish language fluency is desirable.
- Have a valid passport and the flexibility to travel nationally and internationally.
Contact email: [email protected]
Please send cover letter and complete chronological resume.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply