CENTRAL ASIA COUNTRY SPECIALIST
Amnesty International USA
About the organization
All people have human rights. But those rights are abused or denied every single day. We are witnessing a rollback of human rights globally. World leaders are pushing hate, attempting to erase rights protections, commiting crimes against humanity, and enacting policies that drive and deepen inequality.
When that happens, Amnesty International finds the facts, exposes what’s happening, and rallies people together to force governments and others to respect everyone’s human rights. Our vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights instruments. In pursuit of this vision, our mission is to undertake research and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of these rights.
Routinely monitor the political and human rights situation in Central Asia, with a solid understanding of AI’s policy and specific concerns pertaining to Central Asia.
-Develop and implement action strategies for Central Asia in coordination with Amnesty International’s researchers and campaigners around the world and the Advocacy Director of Europe and Central Asia.
-Provide general assistance, information, and actions to AIUSA members and activists seeking to work on issues related to human rights in Central Asia.
-Assist the organization in developing and maintaining contacts with counterparts in other human rights organizations, solidarity groups and other stakeholders.
-Collaborate with AIUSA Advocacy Directors on any aspects of AIUSA’s legislative work pertaining to Central Asia i.e. communicating with US State Department desk officers, US embassies abroad, foreign embassies in Washington DC and consulates throughout the US.
-Serve as AIUSA’s liaison to colleagues working on Central Asia at Amnesty’s International Secretariat.
-Provide expert letters of support for asylum seekers in Central Asia and occasionally testify at hearings.
-Serve as spokespersons for Central Asia for AIUSA; respond to and initiate media coverage on the relevant country or theme. This includes both domestic and international print, TV, radio, and digital outlets. Work with relevant staff to maintain/update country or thematic pages on AIUSA’s website
- Based in the United States, willing to commit to the role for a minimum of two years.
- Substantive knowledge of human rights issues and trends in Central Asia.
- Familiar with advocacy or research relating to the rights of civilians in conflict, women, peace & security, and/or minority rights.
- Experience with grassroots campaigning and/or Amnesty International.
- Familiarity with international human rights standards.
- Experience studying or supporting civil society, human rights, gender equality, LGBTQI+ rights, or fundamental freedoms in Central Asia.
- Comfortable speaking out on human rights either on social media, in front of a public audience, by lobbying members of congress or through writing.
- Engaged and responsive.
- Knowledge and fluency of languages relevant to Central Asia is preferred.
- Thoughtful, respectful, and committed team member dedicated to human rights in Central Asia and ready to join our team.
- Able to commit a sufficient amount of time to accomplish the tasks outlined above.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job