Career Coach (Bilingual-Spanish/English)
About the organization
Since 1971, SER Metro-Detroit has consistently maintained a high-performance record in the skills training and placement of consumers into unsubsidized employment in the private sector and in providing employers with a diverse, qualified workforce. The means by which our mission of cultivating a qualified, skilled and adaptable workforce for metropolitan Detroit and the global economy is reflected in our name: Service, Employment, and Redevelopment. SER Metro-Detroit works to give each consumer of services the resources needed to create a life of self-sufficiency and self-fulfillment. SER program mix includes: literacy and education, job readiness skills training, occupational skills training, vocational skills training, job seeker and employer services, welfare reform programming, economic and community development, employment, and extensive youth programming. The services delivery system includes the active participation of the public and private sectors, education, and government.
1. Interviews customer to assess service needs; reviews applicant’s application and other documentation to assess possible barriers to be addressed.
2. Jointly with the customer, develops a Career Plan (individual employment plan or individual strategy service) that identifies customer interests, goals, needs, and placement strategy.
3. Assesses customer’s career and job readiness and recommends strategies to enhance their marketability including referrals to training and/or workshops.
4. Identifies problem areas and service gaps and assures implementation of Career Plan; identifies and prepares reports to supervisor on areas identified as barriers to services for customers and prepares a plan of action.
5. Provides counseling, intervention and comprehensive supportive services to address observed barriers that may reduce the participant’s chances of successfully completing the program; makes referrals as needed.
6. Ensures customers are connected with available job placement services. Works closely with Talent Sourcing Specialist to ensure successful outcomes for customers.
7. Maintain case reporting in MIS systems and customer’s files including all program activities, attendance records, progress reports and other information as required by SERCO and the program funding source.
8. Re-engages customers requiring additional employment and career coaching services as applicable. Documents efforts and outcomes.
9. Maintains knowledge of current labor market
1. Experience in career planning, placement, employment, training, or a related field preferred.
2. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
3. Knowledge of education, training and community resources; of career coaching principles, objectives, standards, and methods; and of program policies and procedures.
4. Ability and desire to work with a diverse population of customers with varying needs.
5. Ability to communicate effectively; to assess customer needs; and to assist with case management activities.
6. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
7. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish required.
8. Must possess and provide a valid Michigan Driver's License. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and have access to reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking and standing may be required for an extended period.
$19.95 - $20.43/hour
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job