Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
About the organization
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. We are proud to be the largest museum-based outdoor education program in the country.
$55 per day, plus $700 Rural Work Incentive
Special Project, Full-Time – scheduled to work June 13, 2022 – August 26, 2022
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
OMSI Camp Counselors are a passionate team of mentors and youth leaders committed to providing transformative overnight summer camp experiences. Counselors are in charge of small groups of campers in cabins at either the Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray (in Newport, Oregon) or at Hancock Field Station (near Fossil, Oregon).
In addition to supervising campers in nearly every activity and aspect of camp, this position also takes on support roles like camp assistant in the dining hall, light cleaning, bus or van monitoring, and assisting team members with activities and lessons. Work schedule depends on programming needs. In joining the OMSI team, you also participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science and technology that spreads educational opportunities across the Northwest.
• Competitive health benefits.
• Sick pay
• Free OMSI annual membership
• Reciprocal Employee Attractions Pass – valid for two free general admissions to 23 Oregon attractions.
You must be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 or qualify for an accommodation under the ADA for medical or religious reasons.
• Be at least 16 years of age by June 1st
• Experience working with youth
• Ability to follow instructions and contribute to a positive team dynamic
• Ability to communicate and direct small and large groups
• Flexibility in weekly schedules and daily programming
• Current or ability to obtain an Oregon Food Handler’s Card
• Current or ability to obtain Adult/Child First Aid and CPR/AED certifications
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background checks, reference checks, and American Camp Association (ACA) background checks
$55 per day, plus $700 in rural work incentive
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job