Business Operations Fellow
Babban Gona Farmer Services
About the organization
Babban Gona (“Great Farm”) is a rapidly scaling social enterprise, with a mission to serve the bottom of the pyramid and transform agriculture into a job creation engine for unemployed youth. We do this by offering a suite of services to rural, smallholder farmers, helping them to overcome the challenges of fragmentation and low economies of scale. Our services include providing financial credit, low-cost high-quality inputs, ongoing training on best agronomy practices, and providing storage and marketing services to maximize farmers’ profits. In 8 years, BG has helped over 65,000 smallholder farmers increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. Our goal is to serve 1,000,000 smallholder farmers in 2025.
As Babban Gona grows, we constantly take a step back to evaluate our business performance and ensure that we are optimizing our operations across all departments within the organization. This evaluation cuts across our farmer member recruitment and retention activities, input distribution and logistics, women empowerment and gender equity programs and other business development activities.
Our Business Operations Fellow will work closely with the senior management team on specific projects that require detailed analysis, industry research and strategic business thinking to drive key business decisions. Some of the responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Develop insightful business analysis with clear strategic and operational implications
• Identify areas of operational improvement and opportunities for growth
• Identify market trends and user behaviour to guide strategic direction and business expansion
• Conduct qualitative and quantitative studies using structured thinking, identifying opportunities and potential threats based on internal and external data sources
• Lead cross-functional interventions to drive operational efficiencies.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics or a related discipline.
• At least 2 years’ experience in strategy, business development, business analysis or management consulting
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to distill data into actionable recommendations.
• Familiarity with data analysis techniques and tools, particularly Excel.
• Comfort with SQL for data manipulation is highly desired.
• Independent thinker and resourceful problem solver driven to succeed.
• Obsessive attention to detail
• Good initiative, positive attitude and a constant willingness to learn
• Passionate, driven individual with an ability to achieve results through teamwork and collaborative approaches
$1,250 per month
Contact email: [email protected]
ABOUT BABBAN GONA FELLOWS PROGRAM
The Babban Gona Fellows Program is a 12 - 24 month experience that provides dedicated, passionate individuals an opportunity to contribute in meaningful ways to our mission of strengthening smallholder farmers. BG Fellowships are full-time, volunteer positions based in Lagos, Nigeria. Fellows are provided with reimbursement for 1 round-trip economy class international flight and a monthly stipend of $1,250 USD for the duration of the fellowship to offset living expenses. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
● Minimum of two (2) years' full-time work experience
● Fluency in written and spoken English
● Adaptability and openness to feedback
● Empathy and motivation to understand others’ perspectives and views
● Available for 12 - 24 month volunteer commitment, based in Lagos, Nigeria
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Email to apply