About the organization
The CDC Foundation helps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) save and improve lives by unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC, philanthropies, corporations, organizations and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world. The CDC Foundation is the sole entity authorized by Congress to mobilize philanthropic partners and private-sector resources to support CDC’s critical health protection mission. Since 1995, the CDC Foundation has launched approximately 1,000 programs and has served as a strategic partner to CDC during public health emergencies. This is an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation’s lead agency charged with protecting the public's health.
• Optimize bioinformatics capabilities for whole genome and next generation sequencing.
• Select and order hardware and software.
• Enable compilation, storage, and analysis of date to support epidemiologic investigations.
• Train existing staff to use optimized methods.
• Reports to: State Laboratories Administrator
• Determines which analytical methods are most suitable for determining whole genome sequences from sequencer instrument data.
• Determines what computer/server and software are needed for the scope and scale of work we are proposing. Participates in purchase of required hardware and software.
• Prepares standard operating procedures and record systems for quality control and testing data.
• Trains existing microbiologist staff to perform bioinformatic analyses and reports for State epidemiology program. Reports will include:
o Relatedness dendrograms for SARS-CoV-2 from within Hawaii.
o Analysis of origins for imported strains.
• Communicates regularly with Disease Outbreak Control Division staff regarding strain typing.
• Performs maintenance of laboratory hardware.
• Post-baccalaureate training or experience in bioinformatics for bacteria and/or viruses.
• Be able to work remotely
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job