AUW Fellow - English Language, Writing, Math, Natural Science, OR Social Science Instructor
Asian University for Women
About the organization
Located in Chittagong, Bangladesh, the Asian University for Women (AUW) is a regional university with a mission of educating a new generation of ethical, innovative, and service-oriented leaders in Asia and the Middle East. AUW opened its doors in 2008 and now educates approximately 900 students from 20 countries.
AUW is rooted in the belief that background does not indicate potential, and therefore is committed to admitting any student who shows talent and drive—regardless of their ability to pay tuition. Almost 85% of its student body is on scholarship. AUW students are refugees, former garment factory workers, and daughters of micro-finance borrowers; they are almost always the first in their family to attend university.
To increase access to university education for women who were denied high-quality secondary schooling, AUW offers two flexible pre-university programs: Pathways for Promise and Access Academy.
The AUW Fellows Program is a 10-month placement in Chittagong from Fall 2019-Spring 2019. The first two weeks of the program are dedicated to an orientation and intensive training in cultural, administrative, and pedagogical aspects relevant to the Volunteers’ activities. Volunteers receive a monthly stipend, accommodation in shared housing, meals at the AUW cafeteria, free local transportation to and from the University, and regional health insurance (excluding coverage in the USA). Travel on arrival and departure will be covered by AUW, in the most direct and economic route.
Interested individuals may apply for:
• English Language Instructors in Pathways for Promise Program, teaching two courses per semester and engaging in group and individual student advising (Accredited TESOL qualification desirable)
• English Language, Math, Natural Science & Social Science Instructors in Access Academy, teaching two courses per semester and engaging in group and individual student advising (Accredited TESOL or other subject qualification required; preferably a Master's Degree)
• Writing Center Tutors (TESOL qualification required)
AUW seeks motivated individuals interested in acquiring experience in an international academic environment.
A Bachelor or a Master’s Degree from a US (or US-style) college or university, at least 1 year of working experience in teaching or tutoring, preferably in an international environment.
Fellows likely to succeed in this assignment will have:
• Sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socio-economic, religious and cultural backgrounds of an international community;
• Ability to be flexible with work assignments and work in a highly dynamic environment;
• Understanding of the challenges of working in a developing region.
Contact email: [email protected]
Please submit a one-page letter of interest in addition to a CV (no more than 3 pages).
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job