Assistant Principal - East
About the organization
SYLA is a charter high school for youth ages 14-21. Its model combines classroom instruction by a certified teacher with enabling students to learn a trade while in school, providing learners with the knowledge, skills, and self-discipline necessary to become successful citizens in a global society. At SYLA you will be part of a team that believes in this mission and makes real impact in young people’s lives.
1. Provide counseling, consultation, coordination, and student appraisal to meet the academic needs of students related to graduation plans, college entrance, scholarships, and employment or post-secondary planning; Serve as a resource for parents on problems affecting the orderly educational development, physical development, and character development of students.
2. Communicate daily with students, parents, and teachers regarding attendance and discipline matters; ensure that students are contacted daily by the Administrative Assistant to improve attendance and engagement outcomes.
3. Supervise, mentor and support the teaching team and school counselor at the assigned site. This includes annual evaluations, blended learning support and regular staff management.
4. Monitor daily student attendance and administer SYLA attendance policies; Monitor the accurate compilation of daily attendance reports and records. Research, develop and implement programs to improve student attendance and discipline.
5. Work cooperatively with the Principal and staff. Provide direction for administrative assistants and tutors in fulfillment of department goals and objectives.
6. Coordinate and plan student activities as needed. Initiate and support programs that facilitate an appropriate climate for learning and promotion of virtue.
7. Identify, plan, and implement strategies to address barriers to learning including behavior issues and social adjustment.
8. Hold monthly school assemblies
1. Master’s Degree in Education with a Michigan Teaching Certification.
2. Educational Administration Certificate.
3. 5 years minimal experience in an urban learning environment working with high-risk youth.
4. Experience in staff oversight and management
5. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish (written/verbal) preferred.
6. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and online sourcing tools with functional knowledge of internet use for search platforms.
7. Ability to interact with students, parents and staff in a positive and productive manner.
8. Strong cultural competence to effectively educate and manage students from varying backgrounds and socio-economic levels. Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments.
9. Experience in implementing school-wide positive behavioral interventions (such as the Response to Intervention model) and supports, in- school suspension and/or Restorative Justice Practices.
10. Knowledge of de-escalation techniques, trauma-informed practices and behavior management strategies is a plus.
11. Passion for youth and education with a strong belief in the SER Learning Academy vision and mission.
12. Exceptional instructional and classroom management expertise and ability to articulate effectively.
13. Extraordinary interpersonal skills and desire to work as a team player with teachers and staff;
$60,000-$70,000 per year
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job