AmeriCorps VISTA Member - FIRST (Las Vegas, NV)
For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST)
About the organization
The mission of FIRST is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
The FIRST AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Program seeks to expand the vision of FIRST by working in areas that have been deemed underserved: lower socio-economic communities, rural areas, and areas that have little to no support or resources to be able to easily access STEM initiatives.
FIRST VISTA members work in a full-time capacity with their local Site Supervisors. They often work to build the capacity of FIRST by focusing on impacting underserved and underrepresented populations in the following ways:
- Supporting the recruitment of teams, mentors, coaches and volunteers with an emphasis on securing and sustaining support to the low income/underserved
- Identifying specific underserved schools and communities as locations to establish FIRST teams or sustain and grow existing teams
- Raising awareness of grant, funding, and scholarship opportunities among underserved students, schools or teams
- Developing and executing strategies to support the needs of local organizations that support FIRST teams in low income/underserved areas
- Track and report out on specific performance milestones and measurements.
· Living Allowance – modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses
· Relocation Allowance – travel assistance if you relocate over 50 miles to serve
· End of Service Award – Choose between an education award or cash stipend award
· Non-Competitive Eligibility - hiring path that makes it easier for federal jobs to hire you
· Professional Development – in-person and virtual training throughout the year
· Additional benefits can be found at https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service
· Have the ability to serve on a full time (40 hours per week) basis for one year
· Have the ability to multi-task
· Be a team player
· Have excellent communication skills
· Reliable transportation is required
· Familiarity with FIRST programs is preferred but not required
Living Stipend of about $1,115 per month
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job