Americorps Outreach Program Specialists
Girl Scouts of West Central Florida
About the organization
The Girl Scouts of West Central Florida serves nearly 21,000 girls and nearly 8,500 adult members throughout Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Marion, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk & Sumter counties. Girl Scouting is more than just cookies and camping – Girl Scout activities assure girls a chance to discover, connect and take action. Through programs including science and technology, business and economic literacy, and outdoor and environmental awareness, Girl Scouting provides girls with opportunities for fun and friendship, while fostering the development of leadership skills and self-esteem. Girl Scouts offers programs that encourage girls to push boundaries, test limits and develop their leadership potential. Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
Americorps team members will serve 1820 girls in grades K-12 in a 1:8 ratio during and/or after school at schools and centers in Winter Haven, Lakeland, Bartow, Lake Wales, Poinciana, and other surrounding areas in Polk County, Florida by delivering program built on Girl Scout program pillars: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), Outdoor activities, Life Skills, and Entrepreneurship, all part of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GLSE).
Members will perform direct service to girls in person to:
• Increase academic success by 70% by providing teleservice programming from September-December, adhering to CDC guidelines.
• Serve in a 1:8 ratio for in-person small group mentoring from January-July during and/or after school M-F 7 hours a day. Some events will require weekend and evening participation.
• Recruit and engage 23 community volunteers to enhance program experience.
• Deliver program, facilitate cooperative learning and girl-led experiences.
• Administration of surveys.
• Creation of recruitment materials, certificates, and awards.
• Attend family engagement events.
• Track individual girls program participation and progress towards goal achievement within the curriculum/on standardized tests and collect data into web portals (Qualtrics).
• Work collaboratively to problem solve.
• Participate in professional development opportunities.
• Must be min.18.
• Must have received High School diploma, GED, or equivalent.
• Must Be U.S. Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
• Must be willing to undergo a fingerprint based FBI and Florida background check.
• Willingness to register as a member of GSUSA.
Highlights of being an Americorps member:
Americorps is a national service program that works to serve needs in the community. In addition to serving our community, Americorps members are eligible for:
• Monthly living stipend ($1039.36 before taxes) paid bi-weekly.
• Education Award ($1678.57) upon successful completion of commitment.
• After service, some schools offer an education award match or scholarship for Americorps alumni.
• Child Care benefits if eligible.
• Federal student loan deferment during service.
• Membership in Girl Scouts of the USA.
• Member gear (Americorps shirts, etc.).
• Professional development opportunities.
• Orientation and training (Americorps, Girl Scouts, CPR/First Aid, etc.).
Monthly living stipend ($1039.36 before taxes) paid bi-weekly.
Contact email: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job