Americorps Legal Assistant (6 months), Olean , NY
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.
About the organization
LawNY® is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people in 14 counties in western New York.
LawNY® offices may be able to help you with problems such as welfare terminations, divorces, evictions, SSI denials, or other legal problems if you are eligible for our services.
We provide services to 14 counties in western New York including: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Wayne and Yates Counties. Click the county you live in to find the LawNY® office location closest to you.
1. Provide screening and intake for low-income persons seeking civil legal assistance;
2. Recruit and support volunteer lawyers, students and community members;
3. Assist staff attorneys in providing legal services to clients ;
4. Work with community agencies serving low-income populations to strengthen collaborations;
5. Provide outreach and community education for targeted groups;
6. Participate on relevant staff committees and work groups;
7. Participate in impact cases or projects.
Members should have at least two years of college or equivalent experience. Prior experience working with low-income persons is preferred.
Contact email: [email protected]
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume and (3) references to Jeffrey M. Reed, Managing Attorney [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job