ACE Conservation Corps - AmeriCorps Member, Pacific-West Region (Central) JANUARY 12
American Conservation Experience
About the organization
American Conservation Experience (ACE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing rewarding environmental service opportunities that harness the idealism and energy of a volunteer labor force to help restore America’s public lands. ACE is grounded in the philosophy that cooperative labor on meaningful conservation projects fosters cross-cultural understanding and operates on the belief that challenging volunteer service unites people of all backgrounds in common cause. National Parks, National Forests, Wildlife Refuges, wilderness areas and other public lands throughout the United States are imperiled by a combination of dynamics that threaten habitat, endanger vital ecosystems, and compromise the non-negotiable right of the next generation to explore the natural world.
Start Date: January 12, 2020* End Date: April 25th, 2020
Start Date: January 12, 2020* End Date: July 25th, 2020
AmeriCorps Members in the ACE Conservation Corps program will spend several weeks learning techniques of conservation and land management while training on trail construction, forestry, and environmental restoration projects under the guidance of ACE’s most highly skilled staff members. The goal of the position is to accomplish meaningful project work for a variety of public land management agencies while becoming proficient in advanced field techniques.
This position may entail the following:
• Working 10 hours per day for 4-8 consecutive days on a crew comprised of 6-12 other service members in outdoor locations
• Working and camping in a variety of weather conditions including temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, high winds, intense sunshine, rain, and snow
• Serving on environmental stewardship projects including (but not limited to): Trail Construction/Maintenance; Dry Stone Masonry, Harmful Plant Mitigation, Forest Fuels Reduction, Fence Installation/Repair; Habitat Restoration; and Historical Preservation.
• Hiking extended distances on steep and rough terrain with a 40-pound backpack
• Professionally serving on numerous volunteer events and projects in the local community
SEE FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION ON THE ACE WEBSITE:
AmeriCorps members serving with ACE should have an established interest in service and conservation issues and should take joy in tackling challenging situations with a positive mindset. Applicants must be willing to undertake arduous physical work in all types of weather and terrain, and to participate as a team member dedicated to ACE's mission. ACE's Conservation Corps program is an excellent way to start or further your professional development and invest in your future. It is also a stepping stone to environmental careers and as a gateway to potential advancement within ACE, not only as an interesting and rewarding way to spend several weeks working in beautiful locations.
• US Citizens and US permanent residents
• To prove eligibility and citizenship, members must be able to provide ORIGINALS of the following documents: 1) Social Security card, 2) Passport or Birth certificate, 3) Photo ID (passport, driver’s license, military license, or student ID)
• The minimum age to serve with ACE is 18. United States Public Land Corps (PLC) legislation targets applicants of 18-35 years of age in this opportunity.
• Public or private medical insurance coverage for the duration of participation with ACE
• ACE provides tents to all members, but all other camping items such as all leather boots (no mesh), sleeping bags, backpacks, water containers, and raingear must be provided by the applicant
See full position description on the ACE website, link below:
$140.00 PER WEEK
Contact email: [email protected]
DIRECT LINK TO APPLY ONLINE: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/380005.html
To Apply: Fill in your basic information and click "APPLY FOR THIS POSITION" located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing above or find on our website here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/
INCLUDE WITH ALL APPLICATIONS:
Upload all requested documents including your motivation statement, resume, and 3 professional references. Rather than a traditional cover letter, please include a motivation statement which sincerely describes your interests, skills, professional goals, and any other relevant information in regards to this opportunity. This is your opportunity to stand out and express why you are a great fit for our program, in your own words.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job