2021-2022 Resident Teacher
ACE Charter Schools
About the organization
ACE: Believe. Belong. Become.
ACE serves 5th-12th grade students at 3 middle schools and 1 High School in East San Jose. Founded out of community organizing, ACE strategically recruits students and families that haven’t felt like they belonged at school. As a result, 91% of our students are considered low-income, 20% of students qualify for special education services, and 50-60% are classified as English-Learners. After 12 years, our model is seeing results: 100% of the ACE High School seniors meet a-g eligibility requirements for CSU/UC compared with 35% across the state. Our relationship-driven, community-focused approach embodies our tagline: “Grow Everyone Everyday.”
We are looking for aspiring Science, Math, and/or Special Education educators to join our middle and high school teams! You are eager to join a team of mission-driven, educators, and gain practical, classroom experience. You will be working alongside experienced ACE teacher(s), gradually building teaching independence over time. Our residents will get priority hiring for positions as teachers of record in the ACE network for the following school year on an intern credential. This is an excellent opportunity for those that hope to gain practical experience in the classroom, get additional guidance in passing prerequisite exams (CBEST/CSET), and enrolling in an intern credential program.
This position reports to the school principal.
Education & Experience
- You hold a bachelor’s degree.
- A BA in Math, Science, or Psychology (Special Education) is strongly preferred.
- A CA 30 day substitute permit is required by start date.
- You have tutoring, after-school or other experience working with youth in San Jose or a community with similar demographics.
- You have experience using Google applications (Docs, Sheets, Hangouts, etc), as well as Google Classroom and/or other distance learning platforms.
- You have experience using Zoom both as a user and presenter.
- You are a mission-driven individual who has experience working with diverse student populations, including English language learners and students with disabilities.
- You exemplify the growth mindset - you are reflective and implement feedback quickly and seamlessly.
- Your ability to speak in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
*Please note that this position may start remote, but all candidates must be prepared for in-person instruction in San Jose when schools are safe to reopen. All reopening plans will include accommodations for highest risk employees. For the most up to date information regarding ACE's reopening plans, please visit ACE's Facebook page to see the latest recording for our Community Task Force meeting.*
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job