2020 Habitat Home Repairs/Veterans Build Programs VISTA
Habitat for Humanity of Wisconsin
About the organization
Our mission is to unite Habitat for Humanity affiliates throughout the state of Wisconsin in a coordinated effort to eliminate substandard housing. Each year, Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Wisconsin help several hundred low-income families in Wisconsin with safe, decent and affordable housing. While we are quite proud of what has been accomplished, we recognize that with increased collaboration and more statewide efforts through a State Support organization, we can become an even more powerful force for affordable housing in Wisconsin.
The goal of the Habitat for Humanity of Wisconsin VISTA Program is to build a better Wisconsin by assisting local organizations to increase capacity and sustainability for programs focused on alleviating poverty, while developing new leadership to help strengthen Wisconsin’s communities and move them “forward.” With passion, commitment, and hard work, our VISTAs help affiliates bring individuals & communities out of poverty.
You will expand HFH Dane County’s repair program by 20%, establish them as an official Veterans Build Affiliate, and raise funds to support both programs, enabling the affiliate to better serve low income homeowners in their communities. Duties include:
• Review the affiliate’s current program and identify areas of need, such as recruiting more volunteers or strengthening community outreach. Research best practices on MyHabitat and by connecting with other Habitat affiliates.
• Develop a plan to meet the identified needs, such as creating a home repairs volunteer recruitment plan and/or a community outreach strategy. Submit plan to affiliate for approval.
• Implement the project plan. Collect feedback from staff, volunteers, and community partners and make adjustments as necessary. Begin developing project manual.
• Review Habitat’s requirements to be an official Veterans Build affiliate.
• Develop a plan to implement requirements.
• Following Habitat’s guidelines, create veteran-focused Habitat materials.
• Identify and connect with potential partners such as the local VA, American Legion Posts, VFWs, Team Rubicon, Mission Continues, and others.
• Compile all documents and create a Veterans Build Program Manual.
• Research existing public funding opportunities, such as the CDBG home repair program and veteran-specific programs.
• Identify potential philanthropic funding opportunities.
• Research veterans-specific opportunities.
• A demonstrated understanding and enthusiasm for VISTA and its core mission of fighting poverty
• Available to serve in a full-time capacity for one year
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to be a self-starter and work independently with moderate supervision
• Basic competency in Microsoft Office products, email, the internet, & social media
• Experience with Google Drive a plus.
• A positive attitude, flexibility, attention to detail, strong organizational skills and an ability to multitask.
• Cultural sensitivity and an ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and multiple age groups.
• Access to reliable transportation for project related travel (mileage reimbursed)
Monthly Living Stipend
Contact email: [email protected]
No additional materials are needed, but you can email your resume if you like.
** Interviews are done on a rolling basis. Please submit an application as soon as possible to ensure consideration. Selection may be made before the deadline date posted.**
Equal Opportunity Employment
The posting employer has certified that this announcement complies with Peace Corps’ Equal Opportunity Employment policy:
The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and volunteer service. Peace Corps policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or over), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political affiliation, union membership, genetic information, or history of participation in the Equal Employment Opportunity process, grievance procedure, or any authorized complaint procedure.
Does this sound like the position for you?Apply to job