Peace Corps and University of Maryland-Baltimore County's Shriver Center Unite Fellowship Programs

December 8, 1997

Baltimore, Md., December 8, 1997—R. Sargent Shriver, Jr., the Peace Corps' first director, and Mark Gearan, the current Peace Corps director, will celebrate a new partnership tomorrow with the University of Maryland at Baltimore County's Shriver Center. The partnership will unite the Peace Corps Fellows Program and the Shriver Peaceworker Program. For more than a decade, both programs have assisted returned Peace Corps volunteers in their pursuit of graduate degrees while working in under-served communities. Through the joint program, the Fellows at the Shriver Center can best use their grass-roots, cross-cultural overseas experiences to impact Maryland's cities. The Shriver Peaceworker Program, established in 1985 in honor of Sargent Shriver, transferred it operations to UMBC in 1993. In addition to Shriver and Gearan, other dignitaries expected to attend the event are UMBC President Freeman Hrabowski, III; Harris Wofford, CEO of the Corporation for National Service; Congressman Benjamin Cardin (D-Md.) and Maryland Attorney General J. Joseph Curran. The Peace Corps Fellows Program was founded in 1985. Today, about 280 returned Peace Corps volunteers serve as Fellows in 24 universities throughout the country, including Towson State University and Johns Hopkins University.
WHEN:Tuesday, December 9, 1997, at 10 a.m.
WHAT:Ribbon-cutting ceremony for new permanent location of Shriver Center Signing of memorandum of understanding between Peace Corps and UMBC Reception
WHERE:The Shriver Center University of Maryland at Baltimore County 1000 Hilltop Circle Baltimore, Md.

Contact Us

All contacts
Call Toll-Free

Get press releases emailed to you right when they are issued.

Sign up now