About Service

How can I contact current or recently returned Volunteers to ask them about their experiences?

You can find Volunteer stories on the Stories page of our website. To connect with a returned Volunteer, contact your local recruitment office and speak with a recruiter. As almost all recruiters are returned Volunteers, they can talk with you about their personal experiences as a Peace Corps Volunteer, put you in touch with a returned Volunteer who lives in your area, or connect you with a local Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) group.

I have dietary restrictions and/or food allergies. Will this affect my Peace Corps service?

In many of the countries where you might serve, maintaining a specific diet could be challenging. These challenges may come from cultural norms or limited diversity in foods available. A food allergy may impact your medical clearance for some countries. Visit the Countries page to select a country and learn about the typical food and diet of the region where you want to serve. You can also contact a recruiter to learn more.

May my minor children accompany me during my Peace Corps service?

Minor children are not permitted to accompany Peace Corps Volunteers. If you have dependent children, you must ensure that adequate arrangements have been made for their care and support during your Peace Corps service. You will be asked to submit a signed and notarized letter confirming who will care for them during your service.

What if a family emergency occurs while I am serving? Will I be able to travel home?

If a serious illness or death occurs in your immediate family, the Peace Corps allows a two-week leave period and pays for your travel home. Immediate family is defined as spouse, parent, sibling, child, or grandchild. With your country director's approval, you may take leave and travel at your own expense for emergencies affecting extended family. Read more about staying in touch with friends and family by visiting the Family and Friends page.

What is housing like?

The Peace Corps requires you to live in approved housing that meets our safety criteria. Types of housing will vary by country. In most countries, you are required to live with a host family for a number of months before living independently. In certain countries, you will live with host families for the duration of your service. In some countries, you will not live with host families because of COVID-19 prevention protocols. To learn more about typical housing and requirements for specific countries, visit the Countries page and look for the Preparing to Volunteer section of the country where you would like to serve. Alternatively, contact a recruiter for more information.

Will I be the only Peace Corps Volunteer in my community?

Depending on your site placement, you may be the only Peace Corps Volunteer in your community, which will help foster integration and language learning. In some situations, you may have at least one other Volunteer living in the same community, but that other Volunteer will not share the same job sector. Typically, there are opportunities to see nearby Volunteers on occasional weekends, holidays, and for training sessions and collaborative projects. For more information, visit the Housing and Site Location information in the Living Conditions section of the countries where you wish to serve, or contact a recruiter for more information.

How do Volunteers vote during service?

Volunteers are responsible for registering to vote and obtaining their absentee ballot. The Peace Corps staff is committed to supporting Trainees and Volunteers who wish to vote. See Voting Assistance for further information.