Summer Camp Connection
The Summer Camp Connection
During Peace Corps service, many Volunteers around the world will participate in some kind of summer camp programming in their communities. These camp experiences are unique to the country, culture, and community where they take place and offer a wide variety of different experiences for the community participants.
No matter where the camp takes place, the goal is always the same: to serve the community with dynamic and engaging youth programming that meets the community needs.
Bring a Global Connection to My Summer Camp Experience
The Paul D. Coverdell World Wise Schools team at Peace Corps facilitates connections between classrooms and community groups here in the U.S. and students, Volunteers, and community groups around the globe. These connections support the Third Goal of Peace Corps service and foster the mission of world peace and friendship.
How Does It Work?
World Wise Schools offers two distinct programs that connect U.S. classrooms, communities and camps with the global experience
- Global Connections: Connect your campers with a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer and his/her community.
- Speaker’s Match: Bring a returned Peace Corps Volunteer to visit your classroom/camp in person and to share their experiences living, learning, and volunteering abroad.
With the help of over 29 countries and teams of youth development experts and guidance from the American Camp Association, Peace Corps has created a Youth Camps Manual, which highlights some of Peace Corps’ best practices for youth camps from around the world.
While the camp manual is designed to support Volunteer efforts overseas, each of the chapters can be easily adapted and applied to domestic youth camps held here in the U.S.
This manual provides helpful tips on how to:
- Select and Train Camp Staff
- Choose the Right Camp Theme/Format
- Plan Your Camp Event/Experience
- Select Activities that Support Your Camp Theme
- Implement Your Camp Event/Evperience
- Sustain and Measure Impact of Your Camp Experience (Camps to Clubs - Youth Club Toolkit)
Peace Corps camp programming can also invite participants to explore important topics such as:
- G.L.O.W. (Girls Leading Our World)
- T.O.B.E. (Teaching Our Boys Excellence)
- Life Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Entrepreneurship and Business
- Technology and Computers
- English language skills
- Community Service/Volunteerism
World Wise Schools has curated a robust collection of Educator Resources, including a collection of stories, poems, activities, and lesson plans designed to bring the global experience to your camp participants.