Sri Lankan Breadfruit Curry
Creamy, savory curry with some heat
*Recipe courtesy of Peace Corps Sri Lanka
- Medium-sized breadfruit (Mature)
- 2-3 medium red onions, sliced
- 2-3 green chilies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Sri Lankan raw curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150 ml thick coconut milk
- 150 ml thin coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves (Optional)
- 2-inch piece of pandan leaf (optional)
- Remove the skin of the breadfruit. You can use a knife or vegetable peeler.
- Cut the breadfruit into quarters and remove the hard top part inside.
- Wash these four pieces and cut again into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the cubed breadfruit into a clay pot or a cooking pot.
- Add sliced red onion, green chile, turmeric powder, curry powder, curry leaves, pandan leaf, cinnamon, and thin coconut milk.
- Close the pot and cook until breadfruit is tender.
- Befofre all the thin coconut milk dries up, add thick coconut milk and salt. Simmer and stir to avoid clumps.
- Once the curry has started to thicken, add salt to taste.
*Seasoning is not a must, but it does enhance the flavor of the curry.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6-7 pieces of dried red chilies
- 2-3 curry leaves
- In a separate pan, heat coconut oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds begin to pop, add red chilies and curry leaves. Add the mixture to the breadfruit curry after a few minutes.
- Mix the curry very well and adjust salt if needed.
- The curry be can served with white rice, red rice, or roti (flatbread).