Polenta with a savory chicken sauce.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 8 pieces chicken (on bone)
- 4 cloves garlic (mashed)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Oil (for frying)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup feta cheese (or other fresh salty cheese)
- Fry the meat in oil for about 20 minutes.
- Be sure to turn the meat so that it gets cooked on all sides.
- When the meat is almost done, sift in the flour and mix well with the oil.
- Make sure that all the flour is incorporated and that there are no lumps.
- Add the water and mix well.
- Let the water come to a boil and cook it with the chicken for another 10 minutes.
- Add the mashed garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Set aside to serve over warm mamaliga with sour cream and feta.
- Slowly add cornmeal and salt to taste, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Cook over medium low heat until thick.
- This takes about 30 minutes and mamaliga will be very hard to stir.
- Flip mamaliga onto a platter. It will hold the shape of the pot.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then cut it into wedges for serving.
- Serve with Mamaliga Sauce, sour cream, and feta.
Recipe submitted by Teresa Claxton, RPCV Moldova (2008 - 2010)